Mini Rally

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 07:39
ThreadID: 124510 Views:4912 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We intend travelling via New England Highway to Uralla and then via Thunderbolts Way. Is this too steep for a BT ?

Bob & Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roundie - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:38

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:38
Bob

Thunderbolts Way is OK. I'm travelling from Tamworth on Saturday morning and heading down to Cundle Flat via Nowendoc. I haven't been down that road before and I'm not towing as we don't pick our van up until late May so I can't comment as to that route. It would be much shorter than following Thunderbolts Way through Gloucester. It's great country.
See you there

Russ & Carol
AnswerID: 574586

Reply By: Turist - Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:55

Monday, Mar 03, 2008 at 17:55
The “Big Hill” on Thunderbolts Way is exactly that, a bloody big hill.
It is OK but must be treated with caution.
Several signs at the top advising trucks and all vehicles with trailers to engage low gear.
That is a must. Take it easy and it will be OK.

If you go via Gloucester then you will have the opportunity to check out the Bretti campground on the way past.

There are two alternate routes from Tamworth to Thunderbolts Way.
About 12K South of Tamworth take the road to Dungowan.
From Dungowan if you take the left fork you drive through a scenic valley route.
At the end of the valley you need to climb the Port Stephens Pass. This is quite steep and with a lot of curves but very scenic.
Call on VHF 40 and 18 before entering the pass to check if any heavy vehicles coming down.
This route is almost all black top, just a little bit of good gravel.

The alternate is to go right at Dungowan then to Nundle and Hanging Rock.
At Hanging Rock take the road heading East, opposite the lookout turnoff.
This is a forest road and is usually in good nick.
There are campsites at Chaffey Dam, Sheba Dam (Hanging Rock) and along the road out of Hanging Rock. Sheba Dam is the better one.

These roads bring you on to Thunderbolts about 25K north of Nowendoc.

Have a good trip.

Bob

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574587

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:46

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2008 at 06:46
Bob,
You forgot to mention for us poor mortals with Tojo as a tow vehicle, the run from Nundle up to Hanging Rock is bloody steep.

Our BT is about 3.2 - 3.5 tonnes loaded, & we found the limit of Tojo's towing capabilities on this hill.
This was the first time I found myself in low gear, with the accelerator flat to the floorboards. The big hill on Thunderbolts way is a pussy cat compared to this one.

Since then I've taken some insurance with Tojo. I have disabled the automatic selection of centre diff lock in low range. Now we can drive on bitumin in low range if I ever need it. Have also fitted a Steinbauer P-Box computer module for additional grunt.

Great scenic run though

Sorry we wont be at the rally, as we are enjoying the scenery in Tassie

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 574588

Follow Up By: Turist - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 01:39

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 01:39
An algebraic solution to your problem Neil.

A + B + C = 0

Where A is 4.2 tonne BT
Where B is Silverado with Duramax
Where C is Alison transmission.
Then 0 is the affect of the hill up to Hanging Rock.

Worst part of the climb the Chevy (girls truck says stg) dropped back to second.
Most of the climb in 3rd.
Time to trade the rice burner.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 849486

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:38

Thursday, Mar 06, 2008 at 17:38
Giro Hill on Thunderbolts Way is 12% and it takes about 10 minutes in 1st gear going up or down. The sharpest corner is the one at the bottom, so stay in first gear until you come to the sign that tells you that the "Trucks use low gear" zone ends.

If your vehicle is petrol you will still have to apply the brakes, but don't cook them.
Our V8 has had brake pads replaced twice in 100,000 km. Our rig is LC100-3t + 18ft BT-3t. If you have a petrol V8 and your van is over 3t, I'd suggest emptying your non-potable tanks, and Thetford (at the park in Walcha), before heading down the hill.

You can refill your tanks at the causeway at Bretti Reserve.

Have fun at Cundle Flat.......we are in trip-prep for WA......Leaving 28th

Cheers.............Rob and Liz
AnswerID: 574589

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 23:54

Saturday, Mar 15, 2008 at 23:54
I agree about the hill to Hanging Rock ... no warning about the number of degrees it was the first time our LC had such a difficult climb..... we came down the Port Stephens hill as well ... we still think they are both tough... then decided to go down the dirt road between Nowendok and Wingham ... I would never go up it with BT on the back... just slow and easy on the way down..... So all up from Nundle to Cundle Flat we did... roughly 60km of the whole journey on tar the rest was dirt .about 150km?...
Great time at the Cundle Flat site
Lorraine
AnswerID: 574590

Our Sponsors