Dog un-friendly St Helens

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:02
ThreadID: 124524 Views:4042 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
To any traveller with their pet intending to go to St Helens on the east coast of Tassie, FORGET IT !
As of 2 weeks ago the local Shire [Break 'o Day Shire] have posted "Dogs Prohibited" signs along the town waterfront and are backing it up with rude, agressive Shire employee(s) hastling visitors forcing them/us to walk with aged dog on lead on the actual road surface - said we couldnot even use the dirt footpath [also strewen as below].
The area where one's non-smoking, non-can drinking, non-fast food container strewing dog is prohibited from polluting their waterfront is a disgrace without a single spot of "dog evidence" . We voted with our wallets and moved on without spending a cent and have written to the Shire lodging our objection.

On the other hand we CAN RECOMMEND the Crayfish Creek CV Park on the upper NW coast betwen Wynyard and Stanley; very polite, heplful Owners, lovely quiet sites with facilities even Park's own Satellie TV "reticulated" to van sites; resident kelpie Daisy will be happy to lead you on a short bush walk along creek and to the ocean beach.

Cheers from Martin & Christine B. still in east Tassie.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:35

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:35
Hi Martin and Christine,
Good post.... The old 'word of mouth' works well. I would also have told the Shire the their negative and beligerent attitude towards visitors of all types would be spread via the mass media.

John
AnswerID: 574624

Follow Up By: The paca people - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:45
John,
I did not include in the Posting that "The Navigator" had writted a letter to the Shire expressing our "outrage" at their new attitude to dogs and their employee's rude behaviour to tourists [us].
Cheers, Martin & Christine B.
FollowupID: 849503

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 05:09

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 05:09
Hi Martin and Christine

So disappointing for a Shire i have been quoting as a leading light in the example of free camping; with designated free camps in prime locations along the coast, and providing facilities in town (free water and free hot showers at the marina). People had dogs in the free camp sites, so i hope they haven't been banned there too. It is a beautiful area in an even more beautiful island.

Envying you as we cope with heat and humidity, dry grass and flies.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574625

Follow Up By: The paca people - Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:57

Monday, Mar 10, 2008 at 22:57
Hi Motherhen,

We have moved just up-coast to Bay of Fires to a geat independent camping spot 5m from the beach with views towards NZ and a properly functioning, clean & odourless, dual seating Eco Loo !
We and kelpie "Luca" will avoid downtown St Helens on our return journey to "The Tassie Bushies" farm at Nook - the nicest 'independent camping' spot in the South Island with the nicests hosts - Jennifer & Peter Nalder.

Water is not metered in most of Tassie and many of the small country towns have local dams not utilised for hydro power hence they have no water restrictions in many towns. In these town the locals are gnerally quite happy to give you free water [most of which is not flurodised nor chlorinated if one can rely on one's nose].

Cheers from Martin & Christine B.
FollowupID: 849504

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:35

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2008 at 06:35
Hi Martin and Christine

Yes, the best place with the best people in Tassie. Also water from their river was better from anything out of a tap.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 849505

Our Sponsors