Land Cruiser 200 additional battery/upgrade

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 19:54
ThreadID: 124549 Views:4305 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone made a modification upgrade to the battery system to handle accessories such as a fridge, radio etc. If so, where was the battery installed, what type and make? There appears to be very little room to install an extra battery in the engine compartment, and the wiring looms are quite sensative. On another forum discussion revolved around upgrading the batteries, or installing an extra in the cabin. I pick my LC up in 6 weeks. Any information would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:28

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 20:28
To set up a vehicle can be a complicated business if done properly.
Some issues.

It is acceptable to connect radios to the engine batteries as they are low power.

Not a good idea to connect a fridge to the engine batteries. I have a low cost automotive battery in a black box anchored in front of the Engel at the rear. This is charged from a voltage switch in the engine compartment which disconnects from the car system at 12.5 volts. It is designed to run the fridge overnight. I can also back feed from the van if necessary.

Charging the van house batteries properly from the car is not as simple as some would suggest. It is not as simple as running a cable for the car to the van.

Ern
AnswerID: 574676

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:20

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:20
I should have stated above I am not enamored with altering or modifying standard equipment, but any hardware added is fair game.

Ern
FollowupID: 849541

Reply By: The Hob - Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:04

Sunday, Mar 16, 2008 at 23:04
On another forum there is talk of replacing the 2 standard batteries with one larger one and then having a separate second battery for fridge etc.

Also on the same forum someone has installed (or Opposite Lock installed) three batteries under the bonnet by moving hardware around. Also has pictures of same.

I have a 200 on order so I have no personal experience of doing these things but it obviously has been done before today.

Alan
AnswerID: 574677

Reply By: RasCam - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:02

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:02
Thanks for the replies. These have directed me to another forum which has given me access to a wealth of info. I may be on the right track now.

Kevin
AnswerID: 574678

Our Sponsors