LC200 GPS system

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 03:44
ThreadID: 124565 Views:9045 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,
We are taking delivery of an LC200 VX in four weeks time and then a new BT 22Ft. in January 2009.
I am interested in experiences of current LC200 owners that have in vehicle GPS fitted. We are considering whether to add the Toyota GPS as an after market item (not standard in the VX model) but I have been told that the LC200 GPS shows only principal cities and main highways and that there is no way to add bush tracks etc. Is this correct (our dealer has no clue) and is it worth paying the additional $4K rather than buying a Garmin 7200?
Appreciate your comments.

Ross and Pam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motley - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:50

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:50
I have the Denso system in another vehicle (Lexus RX350) and it is very limited in its scope. Its primary function is navigation in cities. In our BT Tow vehicle (Lexus LX470) I have a Garmin Nuvi 660.

If you are looking for more flexibility, then the Garmin 7200 or even the latest version of the 660 will provide it and you can keep over $2K in your pocket!

For instance for about 20 bucks you can get a POI file of the coordinates of all the camping spots in the Camps 4 Guide to load in a Garmin. You can't do that on the Toyota (Denso) system.

Another issue is the upgrades. The latest DVD upgrade to the Denso system costs $395. The same upgrade in terms of mapping capability for the Garmin is half the price. Garmin also regularly releases software upgrades which are available form their web site.

For my money, go Garmin. More functionality, better support and a lot cheaper.
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 574732

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 03:06

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 03:06
Pete you forgot to mention all the free POI files available for the Garmin, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras etc.
Other available POI files have Bunnings stores, Woolworths, trade houses etc, heaps available from this site.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 849560

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:17

Friday, Mar 21, 2008 at 17:17
I would not consider an in-vehicle system unless you want the ability to route a rear camera through it (and save dashboard clutter). Many GPS' have a built-in bluetooth for your phone, but this is also often available as an option on the car sound system (and is cetainly an option on many portable GPS units). This is a technology that keeps getting better and cheaper every 6 months, and today's "gee whiz" is going to look very outdated in just a couple of years.

It is also quite expensive to get maps updated, and I suspect that getting this done through a car dealer will be especially so - inquire about what the cost of upates will be before making your decision.

It is almost better to simply budget on buying a new portable GPS with new maps every few years.

If you look at portable GPS, look at the following features:
1) How much memory does it have for map storage (you want to be able to load a full set of detailed Australian maps, and have spare memory left over, as updated maps will become larger)
2) What do updated maps cost - some GPS' units are being sold with a free update of the yet-to-be relased 2008 maps
3) Does it have bluetooth, and is this important to you anyway?
4) Ask salesman to demonstrate functions like "Go to" and "tracking". There is quite a differecne in ease-of-use between different brands. Ask to see unit working in outside light, to check clarity of display.
5) How easy is it for you to update maps yourself - like many others, I have a Garmin, but the update procedure is a real pain, and I would not buy one again.
AnswerID: 574733

Follow Up By: Turist - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:58

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 02:58
G'Day Phil.
Puzzled by your comment about the Garmin being difficult to update.
I own 3 Garmins, a Streetpilot 2600, a Streetpilot 7200 and a Nuvi 760.

All are easily updated, the software via a download to the computer and then directly to the Garmin unit via a USB connection.
All software and firmware upgrades are free and if you are registered appropriately with Garmin they advise by e-mail when upgrades are available.
If you connect the Garmin to the computer and then go to the Garmin site it will examine your GPS and tell you if updates are available.

For mapping upgrades a disc is supplied and it loads the same way.
Install the map upgrade, connect the Garmin and send to the unit via the software supplied.

PM me if you are having problems, maybe you are missing a step somewhere.

Regards
Bob

PS. I have used the Lexus system and found that it is not "user friendly" at all and pretty useless in the bush.
Upgrades are very expensive and info from the GPS, tracks, waypoints etc can not be downloaded to your computer.
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 849561

Follow Up By: Flipp'n Lorry - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 23:37

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 23:37
Bob,

Updating the software and firmware on the GPS is fine.

The difficulty is the "unlock code" process on City Navigator maps which are supplied by Garmin according to GPS compatability. Now maybe they have changed things on the newer GPS models (mine is about 5 years old now), but I have to pre-register the GPS (done), connect to internet, access my account (which sometimes randomly returns an "invalid" username) and then enter unlock code details. I also have to do this for every PC that I install the maps to. I have to install the maps to PC before then updating them to the GPS unit itself.

I have successfully installed the map updates but, on occasion, it has taken up to 2 hours because of the vagaries of the "unlock wizard" process.
FollowupID: 849562

Reply By: Silver Fox - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 03:55

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 03:55
The Garmin 7200 has a connection for a reversing camera. I find it to be quite adequate and more practical than the navigator using a laptop. I wanted it out of my windscreen vision so custom made a bracket attaching to a ready made hole below the vent on passenger side. Check in my pictures. I have added a brace since those pics so as to minimise shake. The 'Ram' adjustable arm is the centre piece. I found on last years trip that almost every outback track was in its memory. The only down side was the need to zoom in to close-up. An outside antenna is wise too. cheers.
AnswerID: 574734

Reply By: Yogi and Muffin - Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:45

Saturday, Mar 22, 2008 at 20:45
If you want to go an expensive route and avoid dashboard clutter you could look at the Pioneer AVIC HD3. It fits in the double DIN spot that Toyota's use for their radios. It has bluetooth built in and can have an IPOD adapter. It has a split screen so that you can connect it to the rear view camera on the BT and have the rear view and the map showing at once. Voice guidence is through the car speakers.

It uses the Whereis database V14 as used by many portables. When not driving you can watch a DVD and it makes a huge difference to the sound you get from the standard Toyota speakers.

You can get it for about $3,300 + installation.

It is certainly an expensive solution but it looks like it is factory fitted, no cables and is a great bit of kit. Certainly better than 4k for the factory unit which is vastly inferior. We still use a Garmin portable in other vehicles, hire cars etc.

Regards,
Tony

Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 574735

Reply By: Oznative - Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 01:23

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 at 01:23
Thank you one and all for your responses,
Much appreciated.
AnswerID: 574736

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:13

Monday, Mar 24, 2008 at 23:13
Sounds like a 'Street Pilot' (Tom Tom or similiar) rather than a true moving map GPS.

I use a HP rx 5965 PDA. I have OziExplorer loaded and have the whole of Oz 1/250,000 Natmap premium maps loaded. Full colour moving maps.

I can also roam the internet, run all MS Office programmes - email etc. Use it as an iPod, look at stored photo's and play the car phone through it.

$650 from Harvey Norman with a three year warranty. Had it for 9 months and cannot fault it. It also has Tom Tom loaded for city navigation.

John
AnswerID: 574737

Follow Up By: Neil and Linda - Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:48

Thursday, Mar 27, 2008 at 20:48
Likewise we use the HP rx 5965, being a PDA it has the added benefit of storing and playing music direct into the Aux port on the 200 series, I use excel on the pda to keep track of mileage cost etc, and my wife loves the suduko which I loaded on. The gps works great, Tom Tom is fantastic when we get into an unfamiliar town or city and Oziexplorer works well when out in the bush.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 849563

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:24

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:24
From the post by Wherrol on the Members Only Forum . A good gadget that handles all the off road maps .

www.telstat.com.au/vms4x4navigation.htm
AnswerID: 574738

Our Sponsors