Is it possible

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2008 at 03:45
ThreadID: 124706 Views:3883 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has any one towed there van from oodondatta throw to Dalousie springs,Mt Dare, then up to finke some people have said no vans due to sand but some say its not that sandy at all any info would be great CheersTony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:52

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:52
G'day Tony

No sweatsky!

In May 2006, we travelled up the Oodnadatta Track with another BT couple, as far as William Creek, then diverted across to Coober Pedy, then back across to Oodnadatta via the Painted Desert. Memorable!
From Oodnadatta, we travelled to Dalhousie via Pedirka siding and into the National Park, where the road became decidedly worse! We have a rear kitchen, and half of our cutlery disappeared, and we found it a couple of weeks later wedged under the Webasto ducting in the bottom of our bathroom cupboard! (we now cover our drawer contents with a towel when on these 'un-roads'.
At Dalhousie Springs,we met up with four other Bushtrackers. From Dalhousie Springs we headed up through Mount Dare, and then went east on the Old Andado track through the dunes of the western fringe of the Simpson Desert then into Alice Springs via Santa Teresa community.
Just drop your tyre pressures, and drive slowly for the conditions. As long as the weather has been fine, you shouldn't have any problems.

Happy Travels
BobH
AnswerID: 575090

Follow Up By: Silver Fox - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:14

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 07:14
I have a feeling this question will start a PSi debate but here goes.
Bob, what PSi did you find in the BT appears to be best suited for "un-roads". I am still not sure what is best. What ever I have tried results in some minor damage even when travelling very slowly. Whilst on tyres I noticed yesterday while preparing for next trip that the outside is wearing faster than the inner edges. Not much but a couple of mm. Could it be the type of suspension, i.e. independant? I'll be checking the alignment soon when I figure out just where one measures the tracking. Is it from the drums backing plate to the chassis? If so why does the BTi instructions say to remove the wheels? I'm thinking I'll need a micrometer and an assistant to do it given the short distances. cheers from the puzzled fox.
FollowupID: 849709

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:09

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:09
Hi Neil
We dropped the BT tyres to 25 psi, rears in the LandCruiser 30 psi, and 25 psi on the front wheels. No damage but I've always maintained that the Air Cruisemaster suspension is much kinder on the van contents than the Simplicity. (Now there's a can of worms!)
We stopped in at the Pink Roadhouse and had a chat with Adam Platte about tyres and travel speeds.
All the best
BobH
FollowupID: 849710

Reply By: Pixellator - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:54

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:54
PS my photo at the bottom of this message is of the SA/NT border gate, just north of Mt Dare. About 6 inches clearance each side, immediately following a 90 degree right turn!
BobH
AnswerID: 575091

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 05:56

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 05:56
Yes, we travelled the route from Kulgera to Finke, then towards Mt Dare and Dalhousie, back to Oodnadatta Track via Eringa Ruins. No problems whatever (we have an 18 foot internal Kedron ATV).
Chris

AnswerID: 575092

Reply By: Balkos450 - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 03:13

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 03:13
Thanks to you all looks like i will go that way ill keep you informed how i go after the Oodnondatta races on the 17th Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 575093

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 03:52

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 03:52
We did the entire trip 2 years ago. Tyres on F250 were 30psi and van about 25psi and we had no problems. The other BT we were travelling with did not let their tyres down and got bogged 3 times but we were able to snatch them out without any problems, even with our van still hitched up.

From Finke north the track can be very sandy in places so just deflate the tyres and keep it in 4WD and you should have no problems.

When you get to Chambers Pillar turnoff go in there and over the large hill well down the track. (Use low range on hill) When you get to the gate just before the First of the big sand dunes there is room to camp just inside and to the left. If you have a light van then you may be able to get all the way, as we saw a van do it, but our setup was a bit heavy to get all the way.

Rainbow Valley is also sandy at the last bit but with deflated tyres you won't have any problem there either.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575094

Our Sponsors