Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 18:17
ThreadID: 124777 Views:4251 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are conteplating a trip to the top within the next 2 weeks,are there any other Bushtrackers going along that track ? As we are a little in experienced ,we would like to tagalong if that is possible please .We have heard that you should make the trip with others for support and back up .We are pretty easy to get along with.you can always tell us to NICK OFF. or we might do it for you .also thanks for the replys to the extension cord. regards .Clive& Joan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 19:43

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 19:43
Greetings Clive & Joan
We did the trip in 2006, thoroughly enjoyed it, camped at Loyalty Beach Camp Ground at the top for a month watching the tide come in and go out.
Great spot, great people. Powered and unpowered sites. Dig a hole in the sandy soil for the thetford dump. There is septic toilets on site but owners ask not to have tanks dumped into them. Understandable as some people use a formaldahide treatment in their tanks and this can kill the good bugs in a septic system which stops it from working. An expensive rectification.

We put together some notes on our trip. If you would like a copy send me a member message.

Would recommend travel in convoy for the inexperienced.

Regards
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 575262

Reply By: Twin Creeks - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 06:11

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 06:11
G'day Clive andJoan, we were up there in the middle of May and the road up was very good - should have no trouble - minimal corrugations - let your van tyres down to 26psi - regular fuel stops at the roadhouses, lots of free camping available at the quarries beside the road - just look for the clearings then find the track in - flat and quiet usually- or pay and stay at the roadhouses campsistes - highly recommend the archer river one. Go straight to the top and stay at Punsand Bay - a little tight to get the van into the sites the only hassle - leave the van here and drive around the top. Supplies at Bamaga/Seisia. If going to Weipa dont use the Batavia downs shortcut - very rough in parts. The only tricky part was the sand north of Captain Billys landing- get a run up for one sand hill is all. Avoid the old telegraph track of course - remove the van and go down to Twin falls though - very nice swim. If you prefer company we met lots of nice people doing the same thing who would have been happy to let you follow them to the next campsite - Best wishes Ross and Janelle
AnswerID: 575263

Reply By: Boystoy - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:27

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:27
Hi Clive & Joan,

Were leaving Sydney & heading for the "Tip" early in July. No plans for a timetable, but will return via North-west Qld. to attend the rally at Quilpie.

Weve seen most of the desert roads in Oz, travelling by ourselves (our choice) but appreciate company on the way. (We dont like the prospect of a "queen bee" in a tagalong spoiling the way we prefer to travel).

Keep in touch, & we may be able to meet up along the way.
Everything above Laura is new territory to us, so we could share the experience

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575264

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 18:21

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 18:21
Howdy Neil & Pat,
What incredible sentiments are expressed in your response! This is NOT a negative observation of your point(s) though - as it expresses our sentiments also.

I refer to " (We dont like the prospect of a "queen bee" in a tagalong spoiling the way we prefer to travel)." We too love company along the way but not TOO CLOSE etc.

This leads me to another "Hobby Horse" of mine - I love to observe people and interactions from a distance (maybe I am a Closet Shrink) and (here I go 'way out on a limb') it seems to me that there is quite a high percentage of BT owners who share similar philosophies of life to the "(We dont like the prospect of a "queen bee" in a tagalong spoiling the way we prefer to travel)." expression!

There seems to be a high proportion of Independent thinking & living folk with in the group!

So there I've gone and said it - hope you are all patient with me in your responses! :-) --- Please!

Cheers - Ian (I will leave Sally out of this one!)
FollowupID: 849799

Reply By: Mumbles & Mur - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:18

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 07:18
Clive & Joan,
Hi there,
Planning to head that way from Mackay towards the end of July.
School holidays over, Grandkids departed, and this pair of old Drones, no "Queen Bees" in this hive, will be looking forward to some peace and quiet to settle the nerves.
The road from Cairns to Weipa is in excellent condition at present and that report is current as we have business interests in Weipa and staff travelled that route today.
It will be our first trip in the BT, so some company, be it casual, will give some sense of security.
Timing may not suit you but keep in touch if you wish.
Cheers,
Ken & Mary
AnswerID: 575265

Reply By: Robbo - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 02:58

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 02:58
Clive, Joan et al.

We also will be leaving Townsville late July with the intention of making it to the top. We are fairly inexperienced and would also like some company for the trip if that suits others, timing can be varied to fit in.

Steve & Patti
AnswerID: 575266

Our Sponsors