TUNE IN SATELLITE

Submitted: Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 05:40
ThreadID: 124783 Views:5567 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hope that somebody out there can help me.
We recently had BT install the auto satellite for us. Austar works well, but I am having a terrible time tuning in the free to air channels.
I have activated my optus card. I have also registered for channel 7 and imparja television. I can get the EXPO channel and NITV good reception and sound
I go to installation then auto search. Unsure which satelllite to choose I went with OptusC1/KU it says that I can have more than one satellite. Then I go search type FREE :network ON - then SCAN. I can see the channels written on the bottom of the screen but no picture.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:11

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:11
We have the SmartSat Oyster system - now this stuff can get a bit tehnical and I don't profess to be an expert on the finer points (hopefully, someone else will chip in with additional info).

Optus C1 is the correct satellite (Optus website says "Note: Aurora free-to-air services are currently carried on the Optus C1 satellite, which is located at the 156 degrees East orbital slot.")

Now you often need to leave the system turned on for some time to receive any software updates for the system to operate correctly ("From time to time Optus finds it necessary to conduct maintenance on the satellite network. During such a maintenance period, any smartcard not in its decoder may not receive satellite updates, resulting in a possible loss of service. For this reason, we recommend leaving the decoder in standby power mode, with the card left in the decoder, whenever the decoder is not in use.")

Normally, if the sat system has found the channel, but there is a card problem, there would be a message something like "Service Scrambled". If you are not receiving a message like that, I think there is a settings problem with your decoder box, rather than a problem with Optus Card?

Available channels and services: Site Link

Beyond this, my technical expertise is exhausted I am afraid.
AnswerID: 575282

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:37

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 17:37
Just noticed that you said that Austar is working (we use this also). This strongly implies a porblem with your Optus Card, rather than the decoder.

Now, if you have a decoder which accepts two cards, we have found by experience that the system is unreliable if both cards are inserted at same time, so trying using it with the Optus card only (NB: Daniel from Sound In Motion warns that you should only remove the card, not the cam which is the plastic receptable that the card slots into. The cam has very fine connectors on it, and damage can lead to the whole decoder having to be replaced).

Leave system tunred on, with Optus Card only, for about 24 hours in case there is a need for software updates.

If it still doesn't work, then attention would turn to the card: now when we originally activated our card, it turned out that Optus had not activated it although they said they had, and a second request for activation got it working.

If possible, try your Optus card in someone else's system and see if it operates successfully there.

AnswerID: 575283

Reply By: AUORA - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:16

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 20:16
Thanks Phil and Lorraine
I will leave the system on, I have not been doing that, Then I will contact Danial tomorrow if all else fails
Thanks
Lyn
AnswerID: 575284

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 22:34

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 22:34
Might be a in the wrong orbit here butfor what it's worth ???????/
We take a "dish" with us when out and about to watch free to air but when at home often bring in our sat. decoder to watch free to air in the house (terestrial reception a bit dodgy in our area sometimes), we hook it up to our Austar dish on the roof but frequencies thru Austar ar different to the free to air although coming thru the same sat. optus c1. It's the LNB freq. we have to change and a very simple job done thru the installation menu. From memory austar is 10700 and free to air is 11300. Anyway more fuel for the brain matter ??

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 575285

Reply By: Cobradave - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:40

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:40
Lyn,
Take it from me, someone who has been involved with satellite TV for many years that what you have done is correct. The fact that you receive EXPO and NITV confirms that the equipment is working properly, that you are on the correct satellite but that your Optus Aurora card is not activated.
In order for it to be activated you need to have the system online to the C1 satellite then call 1300301681 to activate ABC and SBS, WIN and GWN if in W.A.
Call 1800501063 to activate 7 Central if not in W.A.
Call 1300301683 to activate Imparja if not in W.A.
If you're still having problems, PM or email me and I'll assist you.
Dave

AnswerID: 575286

Reply By: AUORA - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:09

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 07:09
Thanks every one for your help, but I still have not got the ellusive ABC or SBS.
I have phoned twice now and they assure me that my card was ACTIVATED on the 2/6/08.
Danial assures me that he will get me going, but I have not heard back from him since Tuesday.
He thinks that maybe it is my card, and was going to talk to Brian, I presumed that he was trying to get me another card just to try (to eliminate if it is a card problem) He had me turn the power off completely then start again, leave the TV alone for 30 minutes for a longer search.
I've spat the dummy for a couple of days, will try again over the weekend
Lyn
AnswerID: 575287

Follow Up By: Cobradave - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:02

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:02
When they say that they activated the card, they mean that they sent down a signal to the card to activate it. It does not mean that the card has been activated. In order for the card to be activated, you MUST be online to the C1 satellite at the time.
Forget the weekend, you are lucky to get any service from the Aurora mob during the week, let alone on the weekend.
Dave
FollowupID: 849809

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 22:02

Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 22:02
Very true about lack of service. We bought our sat system from a snake-oil salesman a couple of years ago. When he set it up he dismissed the Optus on-screen warnings about pirated systems and assured us we had nothing to worry about. Within twelve months our hard-wired (no card slot) decoder was rendered redundant by Optus, leaving us and many others with a useless electronic box.
Service? It went out the window as our friendly seller went to ground and we never heard back from him. Cobradave? Hmmmm.....now that name rings a bell....
FWIW, we bought a new box and an official card from SatPlus who had few kind words to say about this particular gentleman.
AnswerID: 575288

Follow Up By: Cobradave - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 05:48

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 05:48
Sour grapes from a bitter person displaying his true character around the forums and earning an accurate reputation by inaccurately slandering me and others. Interestingly Satplus bought my cards and supplied them to their customers. Did you miss out as one of their less-preferred customers ?
FollowupID: 849810

Follow Up By: Kiwi1 - Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 23:14

Tuesday, Jun 17, 2008 at 23:14
Not sour grapes and certainly not inaccurately slandering anybody (who are these "others"?), David. Just calling a spade a spade.
We paid good money for a system that failed to live up to the assurances we were given, despite our questioning of the suitability of the equipment in light of Optus' warnings. When we contacted you for a solution, you said that many others were in the same boat and that you would resolve it. We never heard from you again and you made no attempt to follow up. Enquiries revealed others had bought from you and were in the same position. It is hardly slander to recount the reality as a caution to others on this forum.
If you are suggesting that what I have posted is untrue, please detail what steps you took to fulfill your obligations.

Michael
FollowupID: 849811

Reply By: Cobradave - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 05:06

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 05:06
Your fabricated imagination is so far from reality. Get a life, preferably far away from mine.
THE END.
AnswerID: 575289

Reply By: webcraftau - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:00

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:00
Is this where we enter our names to the long list of dissatisfied customers of CobraDave's?
AnswerID: 575290

Follow Up By: George - Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:27

Thursday, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:27
Could this be the same bloke who has a record with the QLD consumer authorities?
Some issues with dissatisfied customers etc.

George
FollowupID: 849812

Our Sponsors