Cape York travel

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2008 at 21:54
ThreadID: 124799 Views:9283 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise the current restrictions on the carriage of alcohol in the Cape York area?
We normally travel with a box of unleaded beer & about 6 bottles of the red stuff.

I have heard ‘stories’ of travellers burying their supplies on the way up & digging them up on the return. Fact or fiction?

Any advice?

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The BrakeAways - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:04

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 00:04
Hi Neil
I've never run into problems in many trips through communities in WA, NT and Qld, but have always kept the evil stuff out of sight buried under other gear and never drunk in a community area. However, see these links for Qld the NT respectively:
http://www.mcmc.qld.gov.au/community/search/restricted.php#dry, and
www.nlc.org.au/html/visit_faq.html
AnswerID: 575329

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:06

Sunday, Jun 15, 2008 at 22:06
Hi Neil,
We live in the NT and on Aboriginal lands and as of the coming of the Federal Intervention, and I assume this applies to Qld as well as the NT, the carriage and/or consumption of liquor in Aboriginal communities is now illegal. This doesn't mean you cannot take your tinnies and red but it should be tucked away as you pass through these lands and definitely not consumed while you are on Aboriginal lands.
Prue
AnswerID: 575330

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:27
Neil,

You'll find plenty of information on where you can/cannot take liquor as you travel north. Treat it seriously. For the most part, you are OK to carry a moderate amount with you if you are travelling the main public roads. We met some people who had been travelling with another couple in one of the restricted areas and had been stopped. Asked if they had any alcohol aboard, their friends had said "only a couple of cans of beer", never thinking that this could possibly be a problem. It was. At the time we met them, their friends were still waiting to hear the outcome, which I understood potentially included a huge fine and loss of their vehicle. I never heard the outcome but it is obviously not worth testing the rules.

Michael
AnswerID: 575331

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:35

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:35
Thanks for the advice, will play it cool.

It seems OK with a little booze on board if your going straight to the tip.

Seems there are huge fines if you take any into the listed dry communities.

We've been warned!

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575332

Reply By: Tassietracker5 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 02:54

Saturday, Jun 28, 2008 at 02:54
Hi
Cant take grog past Jardine River ferry crossing. We buried ours further south but lady at crossing where you buy ferry tickets says we could have left it there and collected it on the way back. Don't risk taking it accross as will be in trouble if caught.
Tassietracker5
AnswerID: 575333

Reply By: Bandolero - Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 00:26

Sunday, Jul 06, 2008 at 00:26
JUST ARRIVED BACK FROM THE TIP TODAY AND WAS NOT ASKED ABOUT ALCOHOL ANYWHERE. THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN ONLY TAKE 1 CARTON OF LIGHT ORMIDSTRENGTH BEER AND 2 BOTTLESFO NON FORTIFIED WIN ABOVE THE JARDINE RIVER BUT WHEN YOU GE TO BAMAGA YOU CAN BUY FULL STRENGTH VB FOR $55 PER CARTON.
AnswerID: 575334

Our Sponsors