Lakefield National Park

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 05:57
ThreadID: 124834 Views:3817 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip in August 2008. Having been to the top we are planning on having a good look around Lakefield NP and maybe Cape Melville NP. We will be towing an 18' BT with a 100 Series Turbo Diesel. We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this area recently. Is the Coast road from Cape Trib to Cooktown OK for BTs.
Barry and Shirl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 18:02
Hi Barry and Shirl,

We don't have a BT yet but we were at Cape Melville last September/October. You will have no problems getting to Lakefield with the BT but I'm not too sure about getting to CM. There are two issues, one is the soft bulldust/sand in a couple of patches - most people drive on the diversion trackes that have been created but these involve some fairly tight turns. Obviously tyre pressure is part of the solution and the people with longer rigs seems to get through. The other is clearance with some of the vegetation being very narrow.

We towed a very heavy camper trailer without an issue and while we were there there was a large plate boat that had been towed there but the the trailer was a special - it had metal tubing on both sides to push away the scrub. One or two of the creek crossings are a little tight but with care could be done.

Kind regards

Theo
AnswerID: 575420

Follow Up By: Agnes Lifestyle - Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 20:36

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 20:36
Hi Barry and Shirl,
We went to Cape Melville in 2003.It was well worth the trip.I don't think the tracks would have improved all that much but that remains to be seen. I too would not advise taking the BT into there. We did see a large tinnie being towed through there and fortunately we didn't have the BT on at the time.There were quite a few boats and camper trailers there.Didn't see any vans.
Our travelling companion got caught in the bulldust/sand and we had to tow him out.We found some of the diversion tracks just as bad. But there could be more diversion tracks since then.The tracks were resaonable but as Theo has mentioned clearance was a problem.But that was 2003!
Have to find the time to go back!
Another question is - Are you still permitted to access from Lakefield? I have heard conflicting stories.
Regards
Dianne
FollowupID: 849857

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:32

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:32
Hi Dianne,

When we were there it was still possible to access CM and there was a Kalpower self Registration to confirm that. My understanding is that even though there has been some handing back of lands to the traditional owners in this area, the road itself is gazetted. It always pays to check though as the gate access on the other side has been known to be locked. I think that the road will just suffer over time and that access will just become too difficult.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 849858

Follow Up By:- Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:36

Thursday, Jun 26, 2008 at 21:36
See my blog at,

Cape Melville trip

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 849859

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 19:36

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 19:36
I would recommend you seek advice from Bloomfield Police before you take on the Cooktown / Cape Trib track. If for example trucks the size of long body trucks with say a cattle crate on the back are getting through without problems then you shouldn't have any. Also check that the Daintree Ferry is not out of service for some reason. e.g. maintenace etc.
We had our 19ft BT from Cooktown to Bloomfield last Easter but returned to Cooktown for a stay at Big4 and a good feed of fish. They weren't biting at Bloomfield so we bought some in Cooktown. There are some steep sections but we had no trouble. Just take it slowly. The Bloomfield River crossing was a good concrete causeway last Easter.

Lakeland (Not Lakefield) turn off to Cooktown is all bitumen now.

Haven't heard recently on the more direct route from Laura to Cooktown. Suggest you check with Lakefield NP Ranger, or at Laura Police.

We evney you the Lakefield NP trip. Haven't done that yet but want to.

How about posting some notes on Lakefield NP when you have done it.

Regards
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 575421

Reply By: Leigh & Mita - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2008 at 22:52
I can understand wanting to take the BT to both Bloomfield and Cape Trip as seperate locations however having driven the Bloomfield track on several occassions, I like Uncle Dodgy would be very cautious about tacking the Bloomfield to Cape Trip section with a BT in tow and concur completely with "Uncle" about seeking advise from the police.
AnswerID: 575422

Our Sponsors