Solar panels are the problem after all

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:02
ThreadID: 124866 Views:4097 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
They are ten y/old Kyocera. Apart from the faulty batch, has anyone had any joy at getting warranty (25 year warranty)?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 16:30

Thursday, Jul 10, 2008 at 16:30
Just recently. You will need to send the faulty ones to them when they issue you with a tracking number. Remove the aluminium angle bracket. Your warranty will be refused if they receive them damaged. I got some heavy cardboard refrigerator shipping boxes from a retailer and bound them up with packaging tape. Do yourself a favour and get a dispenser for a few dollars. They will supply 130w panels which are the same physical size.
Obviously these things are not bulletproof so I went to the trouble of installing an ammeter on each solar panel output so any new problems will be picked up instantly. I don't trust the dam things.

On the problem with your fridge a digital thermometer for around $25 is a worthwhile investment.

Personally I'd try and avoid running over anymore chinamen.

All the best

Ern
AnswerID: 575507

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:07

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:07
Hi Ern

Bingo - in looking for the serial numbers of the two bad panels - they are 2001! They have been add ons as the other two (well the one checked sofar) is 1997.

You wisely mention getting a 'dispenser' - what is this like and how can it be obtained?

While staying at my son's on the way here, he had a digital temerature 'zapper' in his work bag - very useful for checking fridge and freezer temps. Same as what they use in the store where is was working to check grocery fridge temps several times a day. I want one.

Thanks for you advice, and the laugh about Chinamen.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 849895

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:15

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:15
When I got mine replaced I was in Roma QLD at the time and Kyocera organised a TNT courier pickup from Roma at the caravan park where I was camping. We moved onto a property for the next 3 weeks and the new ones came via the mailman (who wasn't pleased about the weight!). I installed them myself but used tinned copper wire of the same size as the old wire. It was a marine grade. Additionally I soldered all joints to reduce losses through corrosion.
Len.
AnswerID: 575508

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:02

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:02
Hi Len

Kyocera have asked us to arrange sending back, and have said if we send them a stat dec saying we have condsgined them, they will forward new panels without waiting to receive these.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 849896

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 05:37

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 05:37
Have a talk to "The Rainbow Power Company" in Nimbin about Kyocera and claims, they were very helpful and sorted our problems on a (at the time), 8 year old van. J& T
AnswerID: 575509

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:36

Friday, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:36
Thanks, however the guy who rang me back from Kyocera is being very helpful, and wants to replace all 4 at once. At least something is looking positive.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 849897

Our Sponsors