waeco fridge running time

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:27
ThreadID: 124923 Views:4900 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys
we have a 190 l fridge we run it on 4.5 setting & it gets cold however
when it runs it seems to me that it runs for a long time (winter or summer) 1 hour plus & a few of times a day there is plenty of circulation space
how long do other peoples run for
do i need a regas has anybody had a regas if so was it a hassle fridge removal etc
cheers
Stephen & Deborah

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:42

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:42
Something definitely funny with it, we never have to run ours above about 2 on the dial.

Paul.
AnswerID: 575645

Follow Up By:- Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:03

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:03
Same here
FollowupID: 849968

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 17:12

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 17:12
Hi Stepehen & Deborah,
That makes us 3...we have ours running on 2 or just a tad over it......we put a fridge thermometer in on a shelf and it sits around 2- 4 degrees depending on how many times we open it and how much warm stuff we pack in there.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 849969

Reply By: Andy1 - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 17:41

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 17:41
Stephen & Deborah

On a hot summers day it is not unusual for the fridge compressor to run for much of the day, with pauses when the set point is reached, especially if the door is opened regularly.

If you have an ice sheet forming on the back wall then (1) you do not need to re-gas and (2) your thermostat is set too low.

If (2) applies: Ice is a poor conductor so the compressor can run for long periods but the internal cooling will be very slow as you have a poor heat (actually cold) transfer through the ice sheet,

Modern domestic fridges & indeed all commercial units have internal air circulating fans. You can buy a circulating fan unit from Camec which is crude & a bit effective or install a circulating fan, we use a 4cm computer fan mounted top rear rhs circulating air onto the back wall. For the last six months our thermostat has been set at the minimum setting of less than 1 & the fridge runs internally at between about 2 - 4 degrees with regular cycling.

We have also installed cooling fans at the upper external vent to increase the airflow across the condensor & insulated the fridge compartment.

Andy
AnswerID: 575646

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Monday, Aug 04, 2008 at 00:05

Monday, Aug 04, 2008 at 00:05
Gidday!I agree with Andy1. have installed a 80mm exhaust fan in the upper vent of the fridge cabinet and a 40mm fan under the top shlel of the fridge blowing downwards. The exhaust fan is controlled by a photovoltaic cel kit (obtained from Jaycar) and switches the fan on just after sunrise and just before dark, which means I can leave the van unattended knowing that the cooling is going on. I used to find the fridge running 75% of the time, but it now runs 25% of the time and also at the lowest possible setting of the adjustor, just before it switches off. I have not temped the fridge, but salads and vegges in the bottom containers stay a lot cooler than before.RegardsLen
AnswerID: 575647

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Monday, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:28

Monday, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:28
We have the RPD190 fridge.
Recently it started to run for longer periods.
Then we left the van for 6 weeks, fridge was off.
Came back before re-occupying and turned fridge on, and went away for two days.
On return found fridge had run continuously for over 48 hours, internal fridge temp was 19.5, internal van temp was 17.5.
Problem was loss of refrigerant, became more of a problem when we switched off the fridge, ie, there was a more rapid loss.
Took fridge to Waeco who found a leak inside the cabinet where several pipes are soldered together. They had to dig out the insulation to get at the problem.
It was re-gassed and balanced, now runs more quietly than when new, and seems more efficient,(read, runs for less time each cycle), but does seem to draw slightly more power, especially on start up.
Have had the wiring done for an internal fan and will have that installed this week.

Apparently the white fridge BT instal as standard has less of a leak frequency from the junction of the pipes that caused our problem, because they are not soldered, but "pressed" in manufacture (it sounded like that when I questioned the technician)
Hope this assists
Cheers
Ian
AnswerID: 575648

Our Sponsors