BOOKS TO ENJOY.....Kerry McGINNIS

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2008 at 13:30
ThreadID: 124932 Views:4806 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Sometime ago I asked for info on Lawn Hill NP QLD. Bob(Turist) and others replied with useful info. Bob also directed me to some books written about the history on that part of the world in the form of an autobiography by Kerry McGINNIS whose family owned Bowthorn Station north of Lawn Hill.

These are called
Pieces of Blue
Heart Country

She also has a new book called The Waddi Tree which is a novel about a young chap growing up in the desert country. It deals with all the social and personal happenings of country life one would expect.

An extract:-
"What is that tree Dad"
"I'ts a WADDI tree son.....It's a real desert battler, just like us".

The ending has a unexpected twist in the tail.

Near Boulia QLD there is an example of one on the side of the road with an explanation of it's history. Take the time and have a read if passing by.

This lady has an amazing way of writing and I admire her work considering her early life. She is now retired in Bundaberg QLD.

They do sell these books at the shop at King Fisher Camp Bowthorn Station. The McGinnis family sold Bowthorn a few years back.

If you want a good easy read and who doesn't, get a hold of these books and you wont be disappointed. All of them are difficult to put down.

Ern
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Thursday, Jul 31, 2008 at 13:40

Thursday, Jul 31, 2008 at 13:40
This is a short history of Bowthorn and that part of the world

www.kingfisherresort.com.au/history.htm

Ern
AnswerID: 575675

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:38

Friday, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:38
Hi Ern,

I just noticed what time this was posted. Were you up most of the night reading?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 849983

Reply By: Bushtucker Man - Friday, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:25

Friday, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:25
Hi Ern,

Another couple of titles for you to check out, "Cattle Duffers of the Outback" by Frances M Boyle, this one I have read twice in 2 years. Met the author in Coober Pedy in 2006.

The other is "Back on the Wool Track" by Michelle Grattan, a story tracing the footsteps of C.E.W.Bean a journalist and war historian.

Cheers, Stan
AnswerID: 575676

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Aug 06, 2008 at 15:00

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2008 at 15:00
Thanks Stan for the info....have the books on order.

Ern
FollowupID: 849984

Our Sponsors