How to Test Solar Panels

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2008 at 06:23
ThreadID: 124967 Views:4376 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
REPOSTED FOR PETER AND LEIGH

Hi All,
I have just down loaded an article on Testing Solar Panels in to the Power Wiring and Electrics swap file section. The article is based on my personal experience of testing, removing a panel and claiming under warranty and also on the comments made by fellow Boggers. I started this article some time ago and recent problems by Willie and others has prompted me to finally finish it off.
If members wish to add to the article based on their personal experience of panel removal or warranty claims or if you think that I have not covered the topic fully please contact me via the member message board or talk to me at the rally.
Cheers
Peter & Leigh

Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank Aus - Thursday, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:26

Thursday, Aug 14, 2008 at 06:26
Has anyone fitted a battery isolation switch to the batteries and what does everyone think?I bought one to fit , but it is only rated at 100 amp continuous and the 1000watt inverter pulls 95 amp when using the microwave to defrost.a bit close for comfort??
AnswerID: 575751

Reply By: Peter & Leigh - Saturday, Aug 16, 2008 at 20:32

Saturday, Aug 16, 2008 at 20:32
Frank,
We have a 100Amp cct breaker which is very handy as an isolation switch.
We don't have a mircowave and only a small inverter which we hardly ever use so it's not a problem for us.
Perhaps you should look at a separate breaker for the inverter if you need the defrost function at least that way the rest of the van will still be powered if the breaker trips. I haven't seen a larger breaker but I'm sure thay are out there.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 575752

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Aug 16, 2008 at 21:09

Saturday, Aug 16, 2008 at 21:09
Frank,

I don't understand why you want to fit a Battery isolator switch and especially to include the inverter.

In our van the inverter is next to the batteries and has its own dedicated very heavy duty cable going to it.

Everything else goes to the regulator and then the Isolation switches that BTi fit for the various circuits.

We modified ours because the original undersized cable to the fridge was giving too large a voltage drop so now we have the fridge wired direct to the battery and use the original fridge wiring to activate a relay switch, so we can still turn the fridge on and off using the original isolation switch.

What is it that you hope to achieve by fitting another isolation switch?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575753

Reply By: Frank Aus - Sunday, Aug 17, 2008 at 04:07

Sunday, Aug 17, 2008 at 04:07
Thank you for your replies, Well i was worried about the massive amount of stored energy should something go wrong, also for when working on the van, welding etc even putting screws in the wall, should you screw into a wire that is not protected by a breaker, I had a number of reasons to do so, every truck, bus etc has a battery isolation switch.
AnswerID: 575754

Our Sponsors