Gear box noises..?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 17:41
ThreadID: 124988 Views:4435 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hey all..Just after some advice.

Over the last 4000km my gearbox/clutch has developed a noise when in nutral with the foot off the clutch.

When I engage the clutch it goes away. I have had the oil changed in the box and was told the gear box bearings were on the way out.

Have added some additive to numb the noise. This has worked OK but it is still there. When cold its a griding noise. When Hot its gets a bit of a rattle.

Anyone have any experiance with this? I'm on a budget (after having to fork out $10 000 for a new donk in Brisbane) and would like to make it back to Perth (I'm in Darwin) and deal with it there..Do these noises go for a long while..??

Would another dose of additive hurt>?

Any advice would be great..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Hob - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 18:47

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 18:47
Sounds like a typical throwout bearing noise to me.

It is mainly a noise which will require fixing eventually but I would drive to perth on a noisy throwout.

My 80 series has had it for quite while now. Waiting till clutch plate needs replacing.

If your engine was out, a new clutch and throwout bearing would have been a good addition to the job.

Alan
AnswerID: 575798

Follow Up By:- Monday, Aug 25, 2008 at 20:10

Monday, Aug 25, 2008 at 20:10
Hi Alan,

That would be my diagnosis as well.

Hope you are well.

Kind regards

Theo
FollowupID: 850042

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 19:05

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 19:05
We had similar noises in our old 60 series cruiser and everyone said it was the gear box, so we had it pulled out and they couldn't find a problem.
Replaced a few bearings anyway and put it back together and the noise was still there.
In frustration the mechanical called in another mechanic who had a listen and he knew what it was straight away.

Where the steel gear lever went into the aluminium gear box the steel had warn the aluminium away a bit and that is where the rattle was coming from.

Just on the off chance that it is the same try holing the gear leaver and see if the noise stops.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575799

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 21:17

Friday, Aug 22, 2008 at 21:17
If you get to Perth a good gearbox mob is Perth Gearbox Centre in Francisco Street Belmont. He currently charges $1650 plus parts. Devlin is the man, he has justv done my 100 Series g/box replacing 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear. Cost just over $3000. He also did a couple of mods to strengthen the box.

John
AnswerID: 575800

Reply By: Dan Wyer - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 00:35

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2008 at 00:35
Thanks for your advice guys..

Yeh I took thie risk and drove to Broome over the last few days....No problems(touch wood!)

The noise is def louder after a long hual but will go away after a brief stop(ie stop the engine).

I'll look into my options when I get back to Perth though for sure.

Thanks,,Dan

AnswerID: 575801

Our Sponsors