WIH and corrugations

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 09, 2008 at 17:43
ThreadID: 125028 Views:4445 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In my limited experience to date towing the 20 ft BT and using Hayman Reese WDH, the WDH seems to work fine with mild corrugations and good "dirt road" conditions. And of course it is excellent on sealed roads.
However, with heavy (teeth rattling) corrugations on otherwise "flat" roads, do you guys leave the WDH on or take it off?
If you leave it on, do you notice any particular handling issues or wear issues on the WDH as a result of bad corrugations?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sooty & Sue - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2008 at 18:56

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2008 at 18:56
Hi Rick

Travelling continually since Nov 07 witht he BT(except now as I'm in Canada for 7 weeks - don't you love technology that allows this all to occur, anyway I digress......) I leave the bars on and have not noticed any handling or wear issues.

John
AnswerID: 575908

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Sep 09, 2008 at 21:10

Tuesday, Sep 09, 2008 at 21:10
We leave ours on all the time except for when we are in the really rough stuff where the ups and downs would cause too much pressure on the WDH. In those circumstances we are only travelling very slow anyway so the need for correct WD is not there like it is at speed.

With an F250 we have to have a WDH on to be legal to tow anything over 2270Kgs.

You will find that you will get wear in the coupling and others in the past that have contacted Hayman Reece have been told that wear is normal and you just have to expect it.

Hayman Reece sell a special lubricant for it that may help. The trouble with putting grease on it is that it picks up grit from the road and then that helps to grind it away.

Having said that, we are still using the original WDH after 7 years and 150,000 km so wear isn't that much of a PROBLEM.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575909

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:20

Wednesday, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:20
Hi Rick & Julie,
We tow a 20' BT with a 100TD Tojo. Had the suspension upgrade with 400kg progressive rear coils (no airbags). Ride is good & no droop with BT.
We have 100,000 km up on the BT now & the WDH has hardly ever been off.
We have travelled most of the major desert roads in Oz, & have only taken the WDH off on sharp, step bending, creek crossings (off road) never had the need on gazetted roads.
I forgot to take the WDH off getting out of one creek & popped one of the U bolts on the WDH. (goes off with a real BANG too!!)
My advice - leave em on!

Neil

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 575910

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:51

Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:51
Hi R"ick & Julie

Definately leave them on for corrugations - you need the stability. We haven't even taken ours off for roads with dips and crests and have had no problems. We have some wear where the bars fit on and have seen similar on other people's rigs, but it still all works. Our hitch is quite a few years old.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 575911

Our Sponsors