VMS Navigation

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 02:06
ThreadID: 125040 Views:4311 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just a report on the VMS Navigation system that we had fitted to our Landcruiser 100 TD in April this year. When we were researching the various navigation systems there was not much experience out there on the VMS system, so in the end we had it fitted and crossed our fingers.

Since then we have run up a few outback miles and recently did a trip of about 7,000 Km from Brisbane-Birdsville-Warburton Crossing-Poeppel Corner- Hay River, Lake Caroline to Batton Hill Camp, then the Plenty -CattlewaterPass-Alice then back to Qld via the Sandover-Camooweal-Urandangi-Boulia Diamantina NP-Winton and back to Brisbane. So it’s had a bit of a shake up now.

We are very happy with the VMS system. It performed beautifully especially on Topo navigation which uses a version of Oziexplorer. This allows the use of raster maps that come with the VMS (e.g. Hema’s Great Desert tracks etc., and the Geoscience 1:250,000 complete topo maps of Australia), and also maps that you scan or produce yourself (eg. Google Earth Satellite imagery). Being able to tell exactly where you are and where you are headed at a glance makes the trip that much more enjoyable.

The street navigation function uses Navteq maps and in our opinion these are not as accurate and up to date as the Whereis maps used in the Navmans, Tom Toms etc, but nonetheless we were able to navigate successfully around the streets of the larger provincial towns. VMS also plays MP3s, DVDs, has Bluetooth connectivity etc.

Apart from being able to use Oziexplorer the other big advantage of the VMS over other systems that we looked at, is the fact that it is built-in and has a 6.5” screen. So all video (off-road mapping, street mapping, reversing cameras etc.) can be directed to the one screen as required. Its big disadvantage to some might be the price, but we think it’s well worth it.

We had ours fitted by Sound in Motion in Nambour, who also fitted the electronic wizardry in our BT.

This is not meant to be a recommendation, but just our impression of the VMS thus far.

Regards

Col and Diane Douglas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 02:18

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 02:18
Looks like it does everything except make the coffee :-)

Found this link for it to make it easy for others who maybe interested

www.vmscarpc.com.au/index.html
AnswerID: 575929

Reply By: Wherrol - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 06:32

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 06:32
Hi Col and Dianne,

We had Sound and Motion install our VMS at the end of March this year. We love it.

Having said that we have an 'old' Tom Tom that we use for street navigation.

So with the Tom Tom on the Windscreen and the VMS going gangbusters with the MP3 and Toppo we feel confident and happy out on the road.

A couple of times 'out bush' we found the map to be very useful, especially at the odd road junction where we could have got lost.

VMS are updating the system to get rid of a couple of glitches, we understand. We hope that includes coffee making ability but may have to settle on the fact that it won't!

Cheers

Allan and Sharon

AnswerID: 575930

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 07:28

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 07:28
I'd love to catch up with someone that has this VMS system, i tried to get into the Ozi Explorer thing with the moving maps but back then it meant having a laptop mounted in the car and that wasn't going to happen.

My F250 has a double din system so the VMS would take it's place?

I have a roof mounted screen for my reverse camera's .......well bugger !!
As the cost of that could have gone towards the VMS as it has provision for 3 camera's PLUS it plays DVD

Also i have the Navman and that has been less than succesful with reliablity issues and outdated maps, another cost that could have been better spent towards the VMS perhaps.

When i am out in isolated areas I just want to know on a LCD screen where i am and be able to look at the screen and see what roads / tracks are around leading to wherever ......... VMS does this ? At what cost?
FollowupID: 850132

Follow Up By: Col & Diane - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 09:29

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 09:29
Mick and Vickie,

Well we won’t be in WA anytime soon, so can’t help you there.

We bought our VMS online at GPSOZ in Sydney ( " target="EOF" class="lbg">www.gpsoz.com.au). We have found them good to deal with. They have a lot of info on their site, and you can also link to a VMS Forum where others give advice and gripe about VMS issues.

When we looked at navigation systems, the VMS system was the only one that combined a decent-sized screen, was built-in, and was able to run non-proprietary maps using Oziexplorer. Some PDAs plus the new Hema Navigator run Oziexplorer but they are windscreen-mounted and have small screens. Other built-in double-din systems (Pioneer, Kenwood, Polaris etc.) have street navigation, reverse camera inputs, play dvds etc., but have no off-road mapping. The only other option, as you say, was the in-car PC which has a bigger screen, but has other obvious disadvantages.

The topo-mapping (Oziexplorer) is the feature that I like. It makes driving on outback tracks (or any tracks for that matter) a breeze. If you’ve ever driven in a remote area with your wife wrestling with a 1:100000 paper map, you’ll know what I mean. With VMS that map is on the screen, and an arrow shows exactly where you are and the direction that you are travelling. You wife is happily crocheting or looking at the wildflowers.

If you have any questions or want more info send us a message.

Regards,

Col and Diane
FollowupID: 850133

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 09:51

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 09:51
Thanks Col & Di,

I do have the Ozi and Aust maps incl the desert trek set and played with it in the past, but never as moving maps

So GPS OZ ? well thats cool as i know Brian Somerville who owns that company from years back, maybe it's his turn for the coffee :-)
FollowupID: 850134

Reply By: Wherrol - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 16:55

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 16:55
Hi Mick and Vicki

We shall be in WA in January/Feb sometime if you want a look see...if that is any help.

We totally concur with Col and Diane's comments.

We are at the BOG rally if anyone wants a look see there, Allan loves showing everyone our gizmo.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
AnswerID: 575931

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 20:28

Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 20:28
Thanks Allan & Sharon,

we plan to be on the road ourselves end of January heading East so there is a possibilty we may be able to meet & greet & check out the gizmo.
FollowupID: 850135

Our Sponsors