BIGPOND Wireless Internet Modems.

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 13, 2008 at 21:07
ThreadID: 125042 Views:4382 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would be interested to know if anyone who has a Bigpond Next G Internet Wireless Modem has taken the SIM card out of their modem and tried it in another Next G Internet wireless modem.

If the one SIM card would operate a Next G gateway wireless Internet modem that requires 240 power and is designed for home use AND also in a portable wireless Internet modem that takes it's power from the laptop via USB then it should be possible to have one contract with Telstra and use the one SIM card at home or while away travelling, rather than having a contract for home use on ADSL or Wireless and a wireless modem for travelling.

Telstra say that it cannot be done because the modem's IMEI number is linked to the SIM card number and they will only work when the SIM card is in the linked Modem.

Because a Next G phone SIM card will operate in any Next G phone I am sceptical about the Telstra claim and would like to know if anyone has experimented with Next G Internet SIM cards in different internet wireless modems.

Brian.
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred & Marj - Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:26

Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:26
Hi Brian

Being a past empoyee of Telstra sad to say your info is correct the SIM card does have the IMEI number programmed into it so that it will only work with the modem provided - this number is used to prevent theft and enables carriers to block identify the hardware using the SIM.

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

AnswerID: 575935

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:38

Sunday, Sep 14, 2008 at 02:38
Thanks Wayne,

All I can say is BUGGER.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 850137

Reply By: MEL and TOBY - Monday, Sep 15, 2008 at 04:40

Monday, Sep 15, 2008 at 04:40
Slightly off topic... I suggest you check Bigpond/Telstra site they have increased their download limits and you can change plans to reduce price or increase data
.IAN

PS Jealous we cant make Quilpie!
AnswerID: 575936

Reply By: Eric & Gail - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2008 at 06:35

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2008 at 06:35
Hi Brian,
I have a standard ADSL connection at home on my desk top PC, I am no longer on contract on that one, so when I get back home from our wanders using my laptop through the next G system I ring Bigpond and they give me a credit for none usage on my home PC, they don't like giving it but because I have all my services with them they do, I am still on contract with the Next G connection so can't get credit on that when we are home. Hope this is of some help.
Eric
AnswerID: 575937

Our Sponsors