Rear Stabiliser Legs

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 21, 2008 at 00:48
ThreadID: 125066 Views:4238 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have found when travelling extensively on dirt roads, the rear stabiliser legs become difficult to release & swing down to the operate position. The wind-down function is OK & doesn’t seem to be affected by the dirt.
We used to have to clean out these legs every couple of hundred kilometres to keep them working.

The Fix

Remove the stabiliser legs from the van, & dismantle the release handle & swivel assembly.
Thoroughly clean all sliding & moving parts with steel wool.
Get a piece of old towel & pour some powdered graphite onto it.
Thoroughly rub the graphite into all of the moving parts.
Reassemble & re-install on the van

The last two treatments have taken us from Birdsville – Sydney – Tasmania- Wiepa, and from Wiepa to the Tip, & back to Barcaldine without problems.
Worth a try, it works for us, & seems to be good for around 1500km on the dirt.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherrol - Sunday, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:06

Sunday, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:06
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the tip.

We had the same problem.

Allan simply 'puffed' the graphite into all the moving parts. However it did not last that long. So he is going to be 'delighted' with the new fix and something to do a little later in our trip.

Thanks Neil. Boggers unite to help each other...it is a wonderful way to help one another.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon

AnswerID: 575982

Reply By: Deleted User - Sunday, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:37

Sunday, Sep 21, 2008 at 01:37
Yes they sure can get gummed up. I only use them when camped for a while and I give them a going over once in a while when the missus complains about them getting hard to deploy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ern
AnswerID: 575983

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:10

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:10
We never had these legs fitted and have never had a problem. Van moves a bit as you wander about but you get used to that. I guess for us it is less weight and less maintenance.

John
AnswerID: 575984

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 04:29

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 04:29
Yeah John....we're "legless" too.....the slight amount of movement doesn't bother us at all....even when we really are legless Ha Ha Ha..
Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 850167

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:31

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:31
We dont have them either, one less thing to worry about & the slight movement in the Van is not a problem, IMO a better idea is to have a couple of adjustable axle stands, multi purpose if you have to work on the suspension etc
FollowupID: 850168

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 09:06

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 09:06
We are another legless couple. while in the van we don't notice the movement but I sometimes put a little stand under the bottom step to stop the rock when my small??? weight jumps in or out of the van

Bob
FollowupID: 850169

Our Sponsors