Fridge Odour

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 08:47
ThreadID: 125069 Views:5059 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello fellow Bushtrackers

We have been living in our Bushtracker for about 4 months in Darwin now and have noticed an odour in our fridge that we cannot find. I have emptied the fridge and cleaned it out and still can't find where the odour is coming from each time we open the door. About a couple of months ago, there was a smell in our food cupboard (positioned near the fridge) and found that a carton of longlife milk must have spilt over during our travels and left unnoticed until the smell became overpowering. After the big clean up of maggots, there is still a slight odour in the cupboard today but we cannot conquer the odour in the fridge. I have tried using a packet of Bicarb of 'Soda as well as lemon halves put on the shelf to try and get rid of the odour but no luck. Can anyone give us some suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 09:42

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 09:42
G'day Mik & Al

web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500029.html

A google turns up the usual things to try, this site may give you a few more idea's,

Would it have been possible for the leak to have got in around the fridge behind the panelling?

good luck with it
AnswerID: 575990

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 20:22

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 20:22
We always use a vanilla spray made for cleaning fridges, available from supermarkets.

We learnt a long time ago that anything that is carried in those type of cartons is not suitable when you travel on a lot of corrugations, the bottoms always wear and leak.

There are plenty of dried milk powders available these days that mix up quite well, we always have a couple of packets in the pantry of the van for use when fresh supplies are not available.

Paul.
AnswerID: 575991

Reply By: CD & JW - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:15

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:15
About half way through a five month trip we had rice packaging wear through - not hard to clean up. Then a bottle of cordial split - very sticky situation, but clean-up helped by the detergent that somehow fell over and leaked in the same storage cupboard LOL.
Sure teaches you how NOT to pack.

You may need to do major removal of appliances if you dont have success with the vanilla spray etc.
JW

AnswerID: 575992

Reply By: Liebs10 - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:22

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:22
we had the same problen twice once with milk and once with a brocken egg what happened was it ran down the door in behind the seal on the door as you couldnt remove the seal on our fridge we had to buy new fridge doors we tried every conceivable method but the newdoor was the only way to fix it
AnswerID: 575993

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:47

Thursday, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:47
We have experienced similar and it was in the seal of the door. I found that I was able to clean it up by removing the door and then you can get in and scrub the area in and around the seal properly.

New doors are about $200 so a good scrub is a good option to try first.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 850172

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:23

Monday, Sep 22, 2008 at 21:23
Hi Mik n Al

We had a power problem - eventually found to be faulty solar panels - which caused fridge to play up. We turned it off not long after going fishing at Kalumburu. The smell was terrible when we got to Kununurra. When all else failed (and i can't stand the smell of vanilla), i tried to buy Nil Odour. Eventually found some at the IGA. It is in a tiny green bottle, and a drop or two in a quantity of water does help if you can get to the source. That may be a problem in your case. Our internal freezer has a sponge lining on the door which is not removable so that is where the smell persisted for longest. I put a cup of water with a drop of Nil Odour in the freezer for a few days. If it is from spilt milk i find the smell does go with time.

Worth trying Nil Odour if you can get it in Darwn.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 575994

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Saturday, Sep 27, 2008 at 05:12

Saturday, Sep 27, 2008 at 05:12
Have you tried blowing through the water removal point in the bottom of the fridge (usually at the back on the right hand side). Also check that the pipe draining this point is not blocked. I use a bit of clear plastic tubing and place it over the escape hole and blow the stuff out. Then a couple of drops of vanilla essence down the hole generally fixes it.
Len
AnswerID: 575995

Our Sponsors