Hot water hose

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:36
ThreadID: 125109 Views:4578 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We need to replace a section of hose under the caravan. It goes from the HWS to the kitchen sink and it has a hole in it where it has rubbed against another hose. Local hardware store do not stock hose suitable for higher temperatures, and if ordering in, it would be a whole roll. Does anyone know where a suitable product can be purchased in small lengths? Until this is fixed, we cannot use the pumps, as water pours out when we do, and there is no way of isolating the HWS. Taping around it was not successful.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NIK `N` OFF - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:23

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 11:23
M.H.

Gosh the name escapes me, something like John Guest?

I purchased mine from a plumbers supply shop at Kununurra, it's the very same stuff that BT use on 'majority' of hoses & fittings, There is a couple of different types, the differences are in the fittings with one better than the other but both do the job. They just cut it by the metre.

Do not use the white reinforced plastic hose on the pressure & HWS, you know why i know :-)

Grey in colour, hi pressure / hi temp with quick connect fittings and inexpensive considering.

AnswerID: 576073

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 14:41

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 14:41
Hi Motherhen,
As an emergency stop gap you may be able to find a bit of metal pipe - any type of the right diameter should do plus a pair of hose clips to secure it should do th job

John
AnswerID: 576074

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 22:34

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 22:34
Hi John - as per reply to all hereunder.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850214

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 16:01

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 16:01
Whenever I need something for my van, I just phone BT and it arrives within days.
AnswerID: 576075

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 17:44

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 17:44
Yes BTi has been very helpful to us that way.
Also we procured lengths to suit and joiners from Reece Plumbing Supplies.
Cheers
AnswerID: 576076

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 21:11

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 21:11
Motherhen & Rooster

If the pipe that is damaged is the grey plastic pipe then you will probably find that the type that BTi use is a brand that is not commonly available and the most common type used in houses is slightly different in size and has different fittings. I have an idea that the brand of what BTi use is something like Dux but that is not the brand that most plumbing supplies have in stock.

If it is that pipe then if you cut the damaged pipe in the centre of the hole you will find that you can slide normal 12mm garden hose over the pipe and with worm drive hose clamps on each end this will give you a cheap temporary fix and you will be able to use the van's water pumps again.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

AnswerID: 576077

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 22:33

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2008 at 22:33
Thanks all. I will try plumbing stockists next time we go to Bunbury or Perth. We are not looking for a temporary fix - i tried that on the road, but was unable to freely access the hose as it was above the other pipes in a very limited space due to the water tanks and hoses. Now we have the water tanks off, we can get at it , and want to put new span of hose so it doesn't happen in another spot. Our van is now 10 years old, and problems mainly due to wear and tear occurred all the way through our holiday.

Motherhen

Who's BT will be better than new next trip
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 576078

Our Sponsors