solar charging batteries whilst van in garage

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2008 at 19:30
ThreadID: 125115 Views:4232 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are in process of building a garage for the van.
It will be a metal shed construction, and we were thinking of using a few clear skylight type panels so the batteries would continue to charge whilst the BT is stored.
I understand that some types of clear panel work, whilst others really drop the solar input.
On the BT site, under tips for using your BT, Steve said no to poltcarbonate panels, 40% power loss, and ok to acrylic/ perspex (5% power loss).

Have any readers had actual experiance, and with what brand names of roofing.

As we will be ordering roofing material early nest week, comments asap would be appreciated.
I couldn't find anything with a forum search, but do recall reading something, somewhere, sometime. !!
Cheers
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Oct 09, 2008 at 21:25

Thursday, Oct 09, 2008 at 21:25
Ian,

You know where ours is parked under Laserlite roofing and generally it stays pretty well charged under there.
I went to a friend's home yesterday and his BT is in a garage with a few sheet of Laserlite above where the panels are and his batteries were on 13.3 volts.

Are you ready for a rally out there yet?

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576096

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 00:43

Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 00:43
We had our van in storage under a large tractor-type shed with no diect sunlight (ie corrugated iron roof, no walls). Van always remained fully charged from reflected light.

We now keep it in the open, but under a full caravan cover - even with that, no problems, there is enough ambient light to keep batteries around 13-13.5 volts.
AnswerID: 576097

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:35

Friday, Oct 10, 2008 at 02:35
Ours is housed in a carport with a solid roof, but has a "skirt" dropping down about 600 mm from the guttering (for a bit of added protection), and withall power shut down in the van there is just enough of a trickle charge from relected light ( I guess),to maintain full charge on our batteries. Geography can make a difference also, we're on the coast between Tin Can Bay & Maryborough.
Judy & Tony
AnswerID: 576098

Reply By: Taj Mah Tracker - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2008 at 01:39

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2008 at 01:39
Thanks to all who replied.
It seems the need for power whilst van is stored is not overly critical if all power is turned off in van.A bit of light is all that is needed.
We will probably put a few sheets of laserlite into the roof over the area we intend parking the van.
Having a bit of extra light in the garage will be useful as it is 9 x 9 M x 3.4M high.
Again thanks.
Ian
AnswerID: 576099

Our Sponsors