200 Series - again!

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 11, 2008 at 23:02
ThreadID: 125126 Views:4602 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
Just heard today (Sat 11th Oct 2008) from North East Toyota here in Adelaide
that they can not get enough 200 Series and the 79(?) Series utes.
HOWEVER their mining company clients are demanding that before delivery, the new Turbo set up and drive train is removed and replaced by the 1HZ naturally aspirated Diesel motor WITHOUT a turbo. Apparently they are tired of the problems with the new power set up & drive train. They are pating $150k for each vehicle for this all to happen.
I just went in to order a new driver side lock barrel (at GULP - $179 and a bit)
as ours has worn out and will not work any more and got into discussion with
the parts chap who reckons the 80 series we have is a beauty and if we are getting
around 5kpl / 20L per 100k with our van on back at around 6850Kg all up then
we ought to stay with our beaut Tug!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Croozer - Monday, Oct 13, 2008 at 00:36

Monday, Oct 13, 2008 at 00:36
Talking to our local Yota dealer (big in country SE Qld) on Thursday and he said 200 series were available pretty well immediately! Didn't ask about the utes and troopies. He said sales to public and primary producers had hit a wall, with mining the only bright spot. Can't get my head around the drastic mods to new vehicles mentioned above! I think Toyota would be of the opinion that "you take it or leave it, mate!

Cheers Rod.
AnswerID: 576128

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Monday, Oct 13, 2008 at 17:48

Monday, Oct 13, 2008 at 17:48
Have to agree with you Rod....especially when there is no alternative vehicle to the Troopy and the only alternative sized vehicle in opposition to the Landcruiser tray back is the Nissan Patrol that doesn't even offer the 4.2 litre diesel anymore .....just the notorious 3.0L TD.

Not much competition there...if any in fact.

Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 850245

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:15

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:15
G'day all,

I cancelled my order for a 200 series for the following reasons:-

1. 17" rims...in April, I asked about 17" tyres at Tom Price and was told they could be ordered in...would take a week! (This will probably improve over time providing Toyota sell enough 200's for tyre dealers to have stock on hand.

2. Front Seats....our backs suffer with the Toyota Seats, and we have found the answer in the fitting of Recaro's. Because of the air bags in the 200 series front seats, replacing them with our Recaro's would mean non-compliance with ADR's. (This too will probably be overcome, Recaro are producing a seat with airbags to comply.).

3. The width between the wheel arches is such that my home made drawer unit will have to be modified to fit in.

4. The fuel tank only holds 90 litres. (This has now been overcome by aftermarket companies who have developed a 70 litre tank which fits between the floor and the spare tyre...neat!!

5. I met several 200 owners on our recent Pilbara - Kimberley trip who were having problems with dust intrusion through the rear door seals.

6. I met several 200 owners who reported a transmission "clunk", and high usage of engine oil.

7. I do not like the integral plastic "Bumpers" ... This can now be overcome by installing a really spoofy aftermarket bull bar, and a rear spare wheel carrier bumper bar.

8. I do not like the protruding headlights and tail lights, however the fitting of the abovementioned bull bar and tyre bar offers protection and reduces the visual impact.

9. The luxury car tax adds thousands to an already over expensive vehicle.

10. The second row of seats cannot be removed, and it is a bit of a task to remove the third row. We have found that the best location for our 40l fridge is where the 1/3 seat is, beside the left passenger door.

I suppose that Toyota and aftermarket companies will eventually overcome these teething issues, but I don't think Mr Rudd will eliminate the luxury car tax.

In the meantime, I have picked up a 2004 Diesel 100 series, manual (58,000km), with solid front axle and wheels the same as our BT . To this I am adding a Garrett Turbo and Diesel/Gas conversion. The Recaros are going in today along with a few other accessories I had on the V8 petrol guzzler. With 8 ply Bridgestone Dueller AT's this vehicle will take us everywhere we will want to venture over the next 7 to 10 years. (By the way, Bridgestone are now making a 10ply Dueller AT, but only in 265/70R16, which is the size we have on our BT.

Happy travels..............Rob
AnswerID: 576129

Follow Up By: Wherrol - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 18:05

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 18:05
Hi Rob

Delighted to hear of your new vehicle.

Have to say we are really happy we sold our 200 series and bought a VX 100 Series that is eighteen months old.

Mind you we just cooked our transmission and have had this fixed under warranty.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon
FollowupID: 850246

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:18

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2008 at 05:18
Some of you will know that I have an 80 series LC with 454,000kms on the clock, a HOG generator, extractors, a K & N high flow oil bath air filter and never lust after the Effies and the Silverados. I tow an 18ft BT at 3 tonne and about 31/2 tonne all up in the LC. I can understand the mines wanting to go back to the 1HZ motor because anyone without black box technology can fix it!!!
Len
AnswerID: 576130

Our Sponsors