Problem with Inverter

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2008 at 03:30
ThreadID: 125133 Views:3927 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have an 1800 watt automatic switching Prostar inverter and back in 2005 we had a problem with a loose connection stopping it working. It was found to be a problem in a $2.00 plastic joiner.

Since then it has worked perfectly and we leave it on all the time while using the van, but today after it had been on for about 3 hours, when I went into the van I found that the alarm was sounding in the remote switch.

Turning it off and on has not rectified the problem, and all that is displayed is 12V 130V 50HZ and it does not proceed to the next screen.

I have checked the power system and there is 13 volts at the terminals to the inverter. I have also plugged the generator in and that powers the power point correctly.

Do any electricians know if it could be the same power joiner inside the Inverter that is located just prior to the auto switching coil with a broken contact on the Inverter 240 volt power.

Is the display on the remote switch only showing the 12 volt side of things?

I believe that it is probably the same problem as before but would like an opinion from an electrician before pulling the Inverter out of the van for repairs. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 03:39

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 03:39
I have found the problem.

Inside the inverter there are 4 capacitors soldered to a circuit board and one of these capacitors has broken the tags off and became detached and was floating around the inside of the inverter.

I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't in the spaghetti joiner between the two lots of 240 volt power because I could have fixed that.

Now I will have to find someone to repair it when we get back home to the Sunshine Coast and go and buy a portable 300 watt one from Dick Smith or similar to charge the phone and computer as we didn't bring the 12 volt chargers because we had a perfectly good inverter.

What was Murphy's Law again?

We are camped at Calliope beside another BT that are returning from a trip to the cape. It must be a popular place because we had morning tea in Gin Gin with another BT couple who are also returning from a Cape York trip.

Brian

AnswerID: 576151

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 06:07

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 06:07
Good to hear you at least know what the problem is Brian, i didn't reply to your post as we don't have an invertor and couldn't help with any suggestions.

Enjoy your time away
FollowupID: 850255

Follow Up By: 11-UPS - Saturday, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:02

Saturday, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:02
Brian

Just got mine back with the same problem cost ($480) had to replace main board and capacitor .
Contact Chris (0400141101) ,Tim or Steve on 33906900 (Xantrex unit 10 /1029 Manly road Tingalpa in Manly Marine World ) tell them that you have a BT or price will double.

Darrell
FollowupID: 850256

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:52

Saturday, Oct 18, 2008 at 03:52
Thank you for the information Darrell, we are up in the Rockhampton area at the moment so it will have to wait until I get home.

I went into the Rockhampton branch of DICK SMITH today and purchased a portable 300 watt inverter for $79.94 and then received a surprise when the staff member told me that it was part of a package at the moment and presented me with a 12 volt 7 litre Cooler / Warmer as a freebie.

Brian

FollowupID: 850257

Our Sponsors