Caravan moving device

Submitted: Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:42
ThreadID: 125183 Views:4074 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all,
We are looking for a product that will back our BT down a tight driveway down the side of our home and can turn in a tight space. Our BT is 21Ft. and in the space available we cannot use our Land Cruiser. Has anyone used the Aussiewheel caravan mover made by Traveller Industries WA or can anyone suggest an alternative product that will do the job.
Appreciate your advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:45

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 08:45
Have you considered a front mounted towbar.
If the hitch receiver sockets are offset to either right or left (depends on the direction of the tight turn) then it is possible to manoeuvre in very difficult situations.

The offset also enables you to see along the side of the trailer when connected to the left front.

This style of towbar can be of a lighter construction, it is not under towing stresses.

We used that design on a F250 service truck that at times had to push a trailer mounted crane into tight locations to move machinery.

We could easily push the 20' trailer up a spiral car park drive.
We had a hitch receiver socket on both sides and the centre.

Regards
Bob

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576266

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:08

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:08
Here is another idea.
Mate of mine built it for moving his Piper around the local airport.
All you need is an old VW and an oxy cutter.

"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

AnswerID: 576267

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:15

Friday, Nov 07, 2008 at 21:15
why stop at that, put some blades under it and cut the grass at the same time :-)

FollowupID: 850326

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 02:44

Saturday, Nov 08, 2008 at 02:44
Hey Ross,

I have designs for a front tow bar on a 100 series. The design for the rigid front axle models is different to the IFS. Which do you have?

Whichever, your local steel fabricator can put it together for about the cost of a slab of crownies.

Then you just bolt it on. I,m about to make one for a rigid front axle model and will be off-setting the hitch receiver so that the side of the LC is in line with the door side of the BT.

Cheers......Rob.
AnswerID: 576268

Follow Up By:- Wednesday, Nov 19, 2008 at 21:40

Wednesday, Nov 19, 2008 at 21:40
Hi Rob

Great idea. We tow our 19' BT with a 2002 LC 100 auto 6.

Getting our 26' trailer sailer in beside the van currently requires a lot of manual work with the BT jockey wheel so a front mounted hitch would most likely help.

Would it be possible to get some pics, ideas or a copy of the plans please.

Happy & safe travels
Greg
FollowupID: 850327

Reply By: Downunder - Sunday, Nov 09, 2008 at 06:50

Sunday, Nov 09, 2008 at 06:50
Ross,
I have an 18' van and a few years back tried one of the devices you mentioned and for my purposes at least it was not suitable.
I wanted to pull the van up a slight grade (on concrete) and the wheel would just spin and squirm all over the place. I also wanted to turn the van through 90 degrees on a grassed area but I had no chance.

I think the devices are a good idea for lightweight vans but the Bushtracker vans or any large van for that matter are in my opinion just too heavy.

The people I bought it off in WA were very good to me and they graciouly took the wheel back and refunded my money. (can't ask for more than that)
Cheers, Bill
AnswerID: 576269

Reply By: Motley - Sunday, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:05

Sunday, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:05
Perhaps the answer is not a caravan moving device, but a slightly mofified, battery powered, manual fork lift? A mate recently picked on up at an auction place for $800. He didn't want to lift pallets - he wanted to shift building materials for an extension in a confined space. After he's finished with it he sold it through his local paper for $1200!
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 576270

Our Sponsors