What is the strongest best made basic jockey wheel ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:29
ThreadID: 125191 Views:12523 Replies:13 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 16 footer and the ALKO one that came with it, is binding up. I have never used the van moving facility ( with the lever) and I don't want that facility on the new one .

I want a good quality jockey wheel - a solid rubber wheel and it has to fit into the locking brace that held the previous ALKO model installed by the factory.

Is there such an animal ? I Googled a few places and checked out the archives, but most discussion was on hydraulic models or models that moved the van around.

Thanks,

Willie.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:45

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 04:45
Hi Willie

We were going to get a Mako Mule with dual wheels (hope spelling is correct), but it wasn't available at the time, so we got a second hand ALKO with ratchet even though the reputation wasn't good. We have a fixed jack, and thought this might help us move the van if in a difficult spot when hitching up. We never needed it for hitching, but did use in in Tasmania when the pin holding our fixed jack broke. The tyre did squash flat under the weight, but it got us out of trouble. It would be OK if filled with silicon, but the at home attempt to do this failed. As we rarely use it, cost of sending away to get professionally filled was just not worth it. We didn't need it this trip at all.

Any solid wheels we have seen in shop have been for very low weight trailers (like a garden trailer), but think that this is the way to go if something to take the weight can be found. There are threads on the forum on filling the wheel with silicon.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576286

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:54

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:54
Greetings MH
I bought a Maco Mule dual wheel JW a couple of years ago, but while waiting for it, I saw the Vehicle Components jack stand and had that fitted (by Vehicle Components).
I have only used the (old Alko) JW on one or two occasions since. I am happy to sell the Maco Mule for the best offer- unused, in its original bag, never even driven to church! The big benefit of this is that it is steerable, in that the wheels can be rotated in opposite directions- great for a tight space.
Cheers
BobH
FollowupID: 850329

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:30

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:30
There you are Willie - make your next trip to Qld and buy Bob's Mako.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850330

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 18:33

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 18:33
But it has a ratchet on it and I just want a basic no ratchet jobbie.
FollowupID: 850331

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:50

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:50
Willie - how handy are you and do you have gear to take the wheel to bits?

Ours siezed up after just 6 - 7 metres - yes Metres - of use. As the van was blocking our drive way etc, when it failed I sourced commonly available bearings to suit, dis-assembled the wheel and replaced them, then took the OBVIOUSLY DRY decrepit bearings (they had NO sign of any lubrication of any sort and I am sure that just 6 - 7 metres would not constitute normal wear and tear and lack of maintenenace :-) ) to the Adelaide agent to show them looking for a refund, but was sadly disappointed as they told me I should have bought the assembly in to let them see it was their products fault!
Any way I treated them as I would any wheel bearing and since then they have been covered in mud on several occasions and still work VERY well.
Cheers - Ian for Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 576287

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:05

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:05
The ALKO jobbie has siezed up in the thread in the cylinder- not in the wheel which moves, but constantly looks like a sausage about to give birth.

I do not want a ratchet jockey wheel . I want a good quality, bog standard, solid tyre, jockey wheel - made strong for a heavy van.

Thanks for the answers so far,

Willie
AnswerID: 576288

Follow Up By: Happy Camper - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:42

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 07:42
Heeyyy Willie,

I bought a Jockey wheel, had this....THING....attached to it, cheeecck it out.

Al

Site Link

PS Hope this link works.
FollowupID: 850332

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:11

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:11
Gee Al, that pole tube on the back is not going to last too long !

It looks really great in the photos. I must drop in and have a look at it next time I'm in the area.

I would love to have one just like that.

Willie.
FollowupID: 850333

Reply By: Frank Aus - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:14

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:14
To be honest Willie i got sick of the jockey wheel setup, I took mine off and made a new plate to attach to the A-frame, and i bought a 1500kg drop leg which i welded to the alko square plate, it stays there permanent, I simply pull the safety pins and then drop the leg down and reinstall pin, and wind away, and to pack up is the reverse, I have added my own safety chains and the foot plate sits well above the WDH bars, i don't have a wheel on it as i didn't see the need, I will take some pics for you if you like.
probably would have to email them though,
AnswerID: 576289

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:07

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:07
Thanks Frank, but I really need the wheel - just to give me that tiny bit of left right movement so I can slot the pin into the AT-35.

I can understand that you got sick of jockey wheels - I just cannot find a decent quality one.

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 850334

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:32

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 09:32
Frank yours sounds similar to ours, but i see Willie's point. He generally travels solo, and hitching the AT35 on your own isn't always easy (although my man thinks it is easier than following my directions - rather NOT following them).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850335

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 18:38

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 18:38
Mrs Hen,
Even when my wife comes with me, I find it less stressful to do it myself. It takes longer, but it saves arguments !
Willie
FollowupID: 850336

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 20:43

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 20:43
Gee Willie - you sound just like my old rooster! Only he says it is quicker without me too. He could do it so easily with the patrol, but it is a bit different with the extra length of the F250 - but after our last trip, he is getting used to that.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850337

Reply By: Andy1 - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 16:08

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 16:08
We have a single wheel Maco Mule which we fitted with a solid rubber tyre. Very reliable, no problems.

Andy
AnswerID: 576290

Reply By: Goodpal50 - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:29

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:29
We have the Manutec Easy Mover that Bushtracker fitted to the new van in October 2006.It comes standard with a solid tyre and I think it is now their standard fitment. Our first van had an ALKo with pump up tyre and the pump up tyre was hopeless.
IThe Manutec has a ratchet mover that comes in very handy for both minior forward/backward and sideways moves on our 19 ft van and I would not be without the ratchet, particularly when you are trying to hitch up to the AT35 on uneven ground. It may be Ok for a smaller van not to have the ratchet but I would not think about not having the rachet for us.
Manutec are based in Adelaide, I think, and you can get details from their website.

Mike
AnswerID: 576291

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:54

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:54
Hi Willie,

The Manutech with solid tyre is quite good, and I am certainly happy to recommend it.

The only thing is that there is too much "slack" which allows the wheel to slide left-right on the axle and potentially jump the cogged ratchet. This is easily fixed by adding a couple of extra large washers on the axle to prevent the axle slide. Only takes a few minutes once you source the right washers.
AnswerID: 576292

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:01

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:01
I do not want a ratchet jockey wheel , just a bog standard , well made jockey wheel .
AnswerID: 576293

Reply By: Happy Camper - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:35

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:35
Willie,

Have you tried a decent trailer spares shop, there are plenty of heavy duty non ratchet, solid wheels on the market. I saw a couple in Albany last week whilst picking up some bits.

And yes, the pole tube has already been squished, I forgot about it, I mean who'd mount a pole tube there...!

I also got rid of the AT 35, it had been damaged and was an absolute dog to get on and off, I put on a heavy Tregg, I find it much easier and I must admit I didn't like the way the AT 35 swivelled on the nut when turning in the bush.

Be great to see you one day, maybe we should meet in Pt Augusta and go North, that way both of us have to travel the same distance ! Do you like the Simpson ! LOL

Good luck

Al
AnswerID: 576294

Reply By: 11-UPS - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:50

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 07:50
Willie

Go to Alko they bring out solid jockey wheels with no frills.If you do want a Power mover they now bring out a solid tyre one if you can get it at trade price cost is approx $100 (bought one a month ago) got sick of pumping old one up hope this is of some help.

Darrell
AnswerID: 576295

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 21:06

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008 at 21:06
Willy,

Try the Vehicle Components Jack Stand, which is available with an optional jockey wheel (bolt-on to the stand) Exceptional quality, just bought one (without wheel)

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 576296

Reply By: TroopyTracker - Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 23:41

Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 23:41
Have a look here
Site Link

how about this one-
Site Link

Easiest option might be to ring BT and have them send you one of their new solid tyre ratchet jobbies. Tell them to keep the handle. It will most likely bolt straight on with no mods and be a decent price given that you are an owner etc.

Alot of people love those trailamate types of jockey wheel/stands. I've never understood the cost!! Hydraulic jacks cost less than $50 for less than a tonne!! $400 for a stand with a jack attatched and then extra for the wheel-things might ave changed.

Good luck

Matt
AnswerID: 576297

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 21:20

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 21:20
""" Alot of people love those trailamate types of jockey wheel/stands. I've never understood the cost!! Hydraulic jacks cost less than $50 for less than a tonne!! $400 for a stand with a jack attatched and then extra for the wheel-things might ave changed. """

I love ours Matt, :-)

the cost is forgotten when the product works so good, one of the reasons we bought a BT instead of a Jayosupramal.

Plus i don't think the cost difference is that great, i paid around $300 complete, the HD Manutec jockey wheel in your link is $200, what's the price of the power wheel BT supply, and then there is the weight saving, ease of use. ;-)

FollowupID: 850338

Reply By: Titans - Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:08

Monday, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:08
Hi Willie,

When we were in WA we saw jockey wheels with solid tyre and no ratchet.

I think it was at Auto One, if not it was definately at one of the Auto shops - Repco or similar. Not sure.

I remember them cause they were just like the one we had on the Van but we were after one with a ratchet.

Lola
AnswerID: 576298

Our Sponsors