Batteries for F250

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 05:08
ThreadID: 125214 Views:4275 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
What batteries do others use? The original Ford batteries need replacing, and we ordered in batteries with the right terminal size, got them and found them too high, too long (they are narrower) than the originals. Our battery shop is now trying to find something to fit. There is no room for adaption re the height.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sooty & Sue - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 06:09

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 06:09
Hey Judy and Jim

We replaced our batteries in Broome, went to Battery World (Allvolts) and bought two Super Charge 65D 800CCA batteries. These are exactly the same size as the original Motorcraft.

All the best.

John
AnswerID: 576400

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 07:39

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 07:39
Hi John

Thanks for the reply and the good news that batteries to fit do exist. I have looked at the Super Charge website but can't find anything like the model you got. Maybe we need to take another NW holiday! What a lovely idea.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850388

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:30

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:30
Hi MH,

I replaced ours with Century N65DC from Battery World, same size as the Motorcraft, to give you an idea on cost, the two cost me $370

HTH

FollowupID: 850389

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:37

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 08:37
Thanks Mick, and for the costing.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850390

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:32

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:32
Hi Stephen

Well may be so, and the same thought crossed my mind but they are in business for profit after all. However in a small town, where almost all business is repeat business, they only survive (and in this case thrive) because they keep their customers happy.

We got a battery as a 'third' battery for running the fridge in the F250 from another business which stocks batteries in town, which was great when we went out camping last September. Not so good during our trip this year. Unfortunately we couldn't take it back while under 12 months warranty, as we were still away when it stopped holding a decent charge - won't go back to that business for batteries. Reputation in a small town is vital.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850391

Reply By: Andy1 - Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 16:11

Thursday, Nov 20, 2008 at 16:11
We fitted ACDelco. Much better quality. Too damp at present (Mudgee) to look at size, if you want I will have a look later.

Andy
AnswerID: 576401

Follow Up By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Nov 29, 2008 at 19:37

Saturday, Nov 29, 2008 at 19:37
Just had to replace our batteries in the F250, AC Delco have the correct size to fit. 12 months warranty in a 4WD, but 30 months in a car?

Paul.
FollowupID: 850392

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:52

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 03:52
Thanks Andy

Our local dealer has now sourced a battery that they say will fit - we will see when they arrive tomorrow. They seemed a bit scathing about quality of the other brands which John and Mick fitted, and are now selling mainly RAC batteries (which will no doubt be a re-branded battery by one of the other companies). RAC is our WA automobile association.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 576402

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:04

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:04
Haha, fair dinkum ?

I honestly do not know where some dealers get their info, as an exercise have him ring Century or ACDelco and let them know what he thinks of their batteries ..... love to be a fly on the wall then LOL

So your getting RAC branded batteries? since when has RAC been in the battery business, in other words you are correct they will be re-branded batteries ? so why are they so much better than a well known reputable brand like the two above, .. sorry Judy all this seems to me like one big sales pitch. Anyhow good luck with it all.

FollowupID: 850393

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:16

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:16
RAC batteries are great.

Much more margin, I bet !!

Or am I being a cynic??
FollowupID: 850394

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:23

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 04:23
Hi Mick

We pretty well have to deal locally, or drive some distance to get an alternative. Dealership is a local family we have had fairly close ties with for many years, so we have to trust them. They have changed the brand they sell over the years if they had too many returns, and now favour the RAC (yes, no doubt made by one of the few big companies anyway, but a bit like BT batteries - no other info on them!) We will give them a try if they fit - quite a few months before we take off again. RAC went into mechanical work a year or two ago, so batteries must be an extension of their entrepreneurial side.

This lady of the business will have certainly told any company not giving good service, or providing sub standard goods, what she thinks in no uncertain terms. A fly on the wall would probably blush when she gets going!

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850395

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:22

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:22
Nothing to do with batteries i know, but I gave up using local trades people when we lived in a country town not too far from yourselves, to get anyone to do any work, to a standard and without being ripped off was extremely difficult. I started using Bunbury trades and was cheaper to get jobs done even factoring the travel.

A question to ask of your supplier is do they have Aust replacement warranty, with dealers Aust wide? In other words will RACQ or RACV etc honour the RACWA warranty.
FollowupID: 850396

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:27

Friday, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:27
A good point re the warranty, Mick.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850397

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 03:26

Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 at 03:26
The new batteries have arrived and appear the right size. They are labelled RAC RACV NRMA etc, and marked For Nationwide Warranty ring 13xxxx.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850398

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2008 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2008 at 01:00
Just got the bill for the RAC batteries. $218 each! They'd better be good.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 576403

Follow Up By: Paul and Barb - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2008 at 18:19

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2008 at 18:19
Be grateful, my AC Delco's were $245 each. The original batteries lasted 41/2 years.

Paul.
FollowupID: 850399

Our Sponsors