mobile phone reccommended purchase

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 06, 2008 at 19:58
ThreadID: 125235 Views:4004 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am wishing to update my mobile phone and am looking for the best coverage of course. I have been told the Samsung A411 is good. Any thoughts?? I have made a search and could find nothing on mobile phones. Hoping fellow BT owners can come to my assistance.
Currently have an LG reccommended by telstra its ok but the car kit is hopeless. We recently went to mudgee and had a lot of out of range areas.
Look forward to your responses
thanks
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Dec 06, 2008 at 21:29

Saturday, Dec 06, 2008 at 21:29
Hi John,

I used to run a Nokia CDMA with a Nokia car kit and an external aerial. Every year , when I headed off to WA , I got very little coverage on route.

Now I have a Nokia 6120 with a Nokia car kit and external aerial. It is brilliant. I reckon I have about five times the amount of coverage I ever had with the CDMA and the phone is easy to use. Some people complain that the buttons are small and hard to use, but I have no problem. I use it as an internet modem as well.

Pretty hard to beat Nokia quality.

Cheers,

Willie.
AnswerID: 576464

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 04:34

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 04:34
I have also been going through the 'what to get next' situation, The A411 & A412 have the Blue Tick seal of recommendation for rural areas, along with a few others. I have a motorola V6 and signal wise it's been good, but the button pad pushing is causing problems. External aerial makes a huge difference, but only certain phones can take a patch lead to connect them to an aerial in the Van for example.
FollowupID: 850437

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Dec 08, 2008 at 06:03

Monday, Dec 08, 2008 at 06:03
We also have the ZTE165. It has passed the drop test also have a free standing external antenna - about 8dBA with patch leads for both the phone and the Bigond "Toaster Modem"

All works well'
John
FollowupID: 850438

Reply By: Sundy & Cyclone - Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 02:07

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 02:07
John,
we had an LG phone also recommended by Telstra in Cairns and was reasonably happy with it until we got home (near Maryborough, Qld.), also had the in car kit connected to a 9db aerial. The only way we could use it was to back our vehicle out of the garage and about 40 metres up the drive way. With much complaining & explaining (politely), Telstra agreed to cancel our contract and supply us with a "Telstra 165" which is streets ahead of the LG.
We tested the 2 side by side (we had a loaner to try it out first), on the way home from Maryborough, about 30 k's. The 165 had a signal all the way home and easily works inside the house or garage where as the LG dropped out at about the 10 km mark from Marybough. No car kit required as we just use the loud speaker mode on the hand set and when connected to the 9 db aerial we pick up between 2 & 3 bars signal strength.
A neighbour also had the LG and went though the same exercise they now have the 165 and are also very happy.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 576465

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 03:44

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 03:44
We have two ZTE F165s with no problems and good service. They are candy bar shape and as robust as a mobile phone can be. Have three car kits, in car, in van and in house.
A car kit is essential when traveling. Try ebay for the car kits.

Ern
FollowupID: 850439

Follow Up By: Sundy & Cyclone - Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 03:59

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 03:59
Yep thats the one Ern,brilliant phone compared to the others, thanks for filling in the model details, couldn't remember the "ZTE- F" bit, cheers Tony
FollowupID: 850440

Follow Up By: Bobrovin - Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 06:20

Sunday, Dec 07, 2008 at 06:20
I have been wanting a new handset for a while and wanted the 165 because of its reception but would not get it for 2 reasons.
The any key mute which could not be turned off
There was no reminder tone to tell you had a missed call
Both of these features have now been addressed in the new version that has just become available
the f-165i
Bob
FollowupID: 850441

Reply By: Wayjen - Monday, Dec 08, 2008 at 01:28

Monday, Dec 08, 2008 at 01:28
We used to have a Nokia CDMA phone and changed to a Samsung NextG when that became necessary and was OK I guess. I have a Telstra 165 for work and thought that it was really good for coverage etc. from Townsville to Mt Isa. I have just bought a Nokia 95 and find that this is better still - both are not using an aerial. Both of these phones have coverage all the way between those two towns whereas others do not.

I agree with Willie though that Nokia are good - we have had many Nokia phones over the years and have not had a problem with any of them.

Wayne
AnswerID: 576466

Our Sponsors