Any updates from TYRE MONITOR USERS ?

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 27, 2008 at 04:53
ThreadID: 125276 Views:7407 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Happy Christmas Boggers,

Have any of you people been using a tyre monitor system ? I have read the archives and found a bit of info. BUT I am still confused. What have you found with the systems you have installed ?

I have been to four websites for a look :
Site Link
Site Link
www.safetyseal.com.au/TPMS.htm
www.tyredog.zylux.com.au/

One thing seems clear - if you go on rough tracks, the valve stem system is vulnerable. What kind of battery operates the senders in these systems and how long have users found the batteries last ?

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 23:49

Sunday, Dec 28, 2008 at 23:49
Hi Willie, I've managed for 45 years without em - why change now. I subscribe to the KISS system. I understand the replacement wheel sensors on some are bloody expensive.

Cheers John
AnswerID: 576590

Reply By: Fred & Marj - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 08:13

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 08:13
Hi Willie

How are you ? After several flat tyres and a shredded tyre on our recent trip I am interested in your research and from the info you have provided so far -one could save the price by saving two tyres on a trip. I have discovered what can happen if you get a flat (slow leak due to valve stem) on the rear wheel of the van without knowing while on the move - it shreds without any noticable change in handling until too late!

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576591

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:22

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:22
Hi Wayne,

It's New years Eve and I have been in training all week for tonight !

I will ask about tyre monitors on Exploroz and see what I come up with there . Then I will update this post. Hopefully, in the meantime, more Boggers will have given me the benefit of their experiences with them.

Have a great New Year,

Willie.

FollowupID: 850497

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:09

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:09
Hi Willie,
We have installed the Sensatyre on the new Troopie and must admit it took a bit of time and experimentation to get the damn thing to stop beeping at even a minor change. However having said that we are happy with it and are more often off-road than on and have had no problems, (although like you say we did expect some trouble). We have had the slow leak on the van and on one occasion lost the entire wheel due to vandalism on an overnight stop.
Don't know about the other brands but we are happy with the Sensatyre.
AnswerID: 576592

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:27

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:27
Hi you Jaunty Jordans,

Thanks for giving me a report on your experiences with the monitors.

So I gather you have a readout showing eight tyres ( or nine inc. spare?)

Vandalism at an overnight stop ? What happened ?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Willie.
FollowupID: 850498

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 22:54
Greetings Willie

We have never had these sensor things. While they may be a reasonable idea, they are too expensive for me. We have ten tyres on the ground.
We have truck type mirrors fitted to our draught horse, and utilese left and right hand bends in the road to take a quick squizzie at the tyres as we are travelling along. The only ones we can't see are the front ones and you get the feel something isn't right through the stearing if you get a slow leak.
This method has saved one tyre on the back of the draught horse that had a slow leak.
If you get a blow out at highway speed, that's a different matter, most of the time the tyre is history before you can safely stop anyway.
I figure save the money and put it into fuel, more fun that way.
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 576593

Reply By: Willie - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 01:06

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 01:06
Grumblebum and Uncle,

Twelve months ago I was travelling fast along deep gravel in Gregory NP ( no van).

The car was moving around a fair bit in the loose gravel and so I did not notice anything odd, regarding the handling until a rear tyre blew at 100 kph. It was very exciting for the next few seconds ( no people, I do not want any comments on my speed thanks ).

If I did not know this tyre was going to blow with a slow leak, how would I be aware on the BT ? I have heard stories of a tyre shredding, wheels being ripped off and suspension arms digging in and rolling the van over. This still could happen with bearing and break problems, but I can rule a part of the problem out, with a tyre monitor system.

I don't need the worry. Better to monitor I reckon.

Willie.
AnswerID: 576594

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 03:51

Thursday, Jan 01, 2009 at 03:51
break problems are always bad !
FollowupID: 850499

Reply By: The BrakeAways - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:19

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 04:19
Our Jeep Commander came with a tyre pressure monitoring system as part of the OEM. It is very reliable and works well.
My first experience with it was not long after I got it, backed out of the driveway into the street and the "Check tyre pressures" warning light and bell came on.
I got out and could see and hear nothing. Thought it was a red herring.
Got up the road to the local Mitre 10 for a shopping errand and walked around the car again and could clearly hear air hissing out.
Had picked up a screw in the driveway.
We've had several solid trips, including recently across the Simpson desert towing a trailer, and had no problems with the system.
However, clearly system this can't monitor the van though.
But several vehicles now come offering on-board real-time tyre inflation/deflation system (including some Hummers and also the OKAs), so the technology for tyre pressure monitoring must be getting pretty reliable now.
Rick
AnswerID: 576595

Reply By: Jaunty Jordans - Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 22:55

Friday, Jan 02, 2009 at 22:55
Hi Willie,
Have spoken to the 'Man of the House' who informs me the system can cater for up to 14 tyres. We have a new Troopie with 2 spare tyres so without van we monitor 6 tyres but with the van and including the 2 spares on the BT we have ability to monitor 12 at present. When you buy the system you need to get it set up with extra cabling to 'reach' the van tyres. The system is expensive (we paid about $800) but hey, as someone said we don't need the worry so...
As to losing a wheel, it happened between Dalby and Moonie on Xmas Eve 2007 as we were travelling to Adelaide from Darwin (yep the long way round). We stopped in a little van park for the night and noted that there were a group of younguns roaming the streets and that the local constabulary were having some trouble with them, didn't think about it at the time. We were the only people in the park and we had the dogs with us but they were tied up to the front of the car. Had to get up during the night because they were barking but again figured it was maybe possums. Next day we are driving between Dalby and Moonie when there is a jolt and our son (he was driving) says "Dad, I think that's our wheel rolling back down the highway". It was and when they retrieved it it was obvious that someone had loosened all of the wheel nuts. Senseless vandalism. Spent the day in Dalby and with STG's help managed to get the part we needed from Toowoomba and the guys at Dalby gave up their Xmas Eve drinks to fix us up and have us back on the road in time for us to arrive in Adelaide very early Xmas Day.
Pays to check everything!!!
AnswerID: 576596

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:28

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:28
Great ,
Thanks a lot for the info.
Willie.
FollowupID: 850500

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:26

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:26
For those interested in this subject :

I sent a member message to Michael and Sue ( SMICK ), who had said they had installed the Sensa Tyre set-up in an earlier post.

"Yes the sensa tyre monitor is still working. On the way to the Quilpie Muster it warned me of a puncture on the rear of my vehicle. "
AnswerID: 576597

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 00:15

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 00:15
Site Link

www.motorcare.com.au/smartire.htm

A couple more !
AnswerID: 576598

Follow Up By: Turist - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 02:39

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 02:39
The Smartire company has been sold to the Bendix Group, sale took affect December 8th last.
Rumour is that Bendix will concentrate on the commercial vehicle products and drop the RV models.

No dealers that were selling Smartire in the US are currently stocking the product.
Internet sales outlets that previously listed Smartire no longer do so.
The Australian importer (Autron, not the sales outlet in Willie's link) no longer imports the product.

Might be a good idea to give that one a miss until Bendix formally announce their intentions.

Regards
Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 850501

Reply By: Fred & Marj - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:43

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:43
Hi willie

I have checked out tyredog and in Tassie the agent is TJM I have dealt with these guys for years and will chat to them re the suitability on our rigs. According to tyredog they have a range of up to 13m which would be ok but it depends on the amount of metal between the senors and the control unit.

If this is a goer I will definitely fit them to the LC and BT (no spares unless minimal incremental cost) - it has to be a great insurance policy.

Will let you know the outcome.

Regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

AnswerID: 576599

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:03

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:03
Thanks Wayne,

My local TJM guys are not the best informed, so I will look forward to hearing what your guys say.

Willie.
FollowupID: 850502

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:00

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:00
I have posted a similar question on Exploroz and have had quite a few answers. If you are interested, the address is :
Site Link

Cheers,

Willie.
AnswerID: 576600

Reply By: The Warren - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:32

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:32
Hello Willie,
We have had a tyre monitoring system on our car and BT for the last 3 years. In that time the BT has covered over 50,000kms, including the Gibb River road , the Savanah Way and many other very rough roads.

The system is a "Pressure Pro" and I would reccomend it very highly. It can monitor up to 34 tyres and is used on a lot of trucks including there trailers.
The only problrem that I have had was when I first installed them on the BT, one of the tubless valve stems flexed a little to much on the Gibb river rd and leaked around the base of the stem. Which the unit promptly informed when the pressure had dropped by 10%. I overcome this by changing the rubber valve stems to the steel ones that are used on a lot of mags, no more problems..

During our travels we have had a number of slow leaks which the unit has alerted us to, however we have not had any Blow Outs, so I am very impressed with the unit.

If you need any more info, Google "Pressure Pro" and you will get numerous sites.

Regards Roger
AnswerID: 576601

Follow Up By: Willie - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 19:04

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 19:04
Hi Roger,

I just Googled them and did some reading. They do look very professional.

If you take them off the van and car when not on a trip, do they still keep using up battery life, or do they go dormant ?

Have any been stolen on a trip ?

Is it an optional extra to get them lockable ? If so, did you take that option ?

Thanks for the good info,

Willie.
FollowupID: 850503

Reply By: The Warren - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:33

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:33
Hello Willie,
The sensors I believe are active at all times however I am not sure. From the manual the battery life is expected to be 4 - 5 years and then the manufacturer will replace the sensors for the price of the batteries only.

I don't have the locking mechanism and I have not had any sensors stolen or lost.

Regards Roger
AnswerID: 576602

Our Sponsors