Procedure for weigh bridge

Submitted: Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 23:04
ThreadID: 125281 Views:3596 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Another question (or rather, questions):
I'd like to weigh our tug and van properly fully loaded.
1. A government weigh bridge is an option, but I haven't used one before. Most I go past seem to be closed. Assuming one isn't closed, can anyone go in, and what is the procedure and costs?
2. What other options exist? The "scalies" use portable scales which I guess are expensive, but I can't find any by googling. Does anyone know of a supplier?
I don't seem to have a problem weighing the towball download; the hayman reece procedures works fine for me on this.
Thanks in advance again oh wise ones.
Rick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 00:35

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 00:35
Rick,

The public weighbridges are usually open during business hours on weekdays. Just roll up and tell them what you want to do. We've done it three times at different weighbridges and only been charged once when we wanted a certificate for the weight. Cost is around $20.

If you're after hitched and unhitched weights, you need to be prepared to work quickly so that you can be hitched and on your way if a truck rolls in for a quick load check.

Michael

AnswerID: 576613

Reply By: SuziTracker - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 02:11

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 02:11
Rick

I went to a public weighbridge and because I didn't want a certificate because it was for my own information, they only charged me $2.00.

Regards
Brian
AnswerID: 576614

Reply By: Innkeepers - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 18:38

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 18:38
Hi Rick,
Yep...we concur with the above...the public weighbridges are the go and we weighed our rig at Ducats sand and gravel yard in Armidale for no cost as we didn't require a certificate.
We rang them first and got the nod and then just rocked up with the rig and went in and saw them and they directed us to drive on when the trucks were clear.

All pretty easy.... The yard owner was there at the time and came out for a look at the van and a chat while it was on the weigh table and didn't seem concerned that we were on the table longer than we really had to be.

Public weighbridge means just that...for public use.

Have a good 2009.
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 576615

Reply By: AlexMc - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:01

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:01
Yep, same here, seems if you dont require a certificate they usually do it for free. I went to the Oxford Falls weighbridge here in Sydney and weighed van and car, moved forward and just van on the weigh bridge, then put the jockey wheel down till the pin was just floating in the AT35 hitch ( this allowed me to work out vehicle weight, van weight and tow ball weight), all for the sum of zero. Only took 5 minutes and they were most obliging.
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 576616

Reply By: The BrakeAways - Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:12

Thursday, Jan 15, 2009 at 20:12
thanks guys for all your helpful advice
now I just have to find a weighbridge that's open! a lot seem to be either closed down permanently or just not open when I go past??
AnswerID: 576617

Our Sponsors