Measuring charging amps: tug to van & back

Submitted: Monday, Dec 29, 2008 at 23:09
ThreadID: 125282 Views:3238 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Perhaps my last question for 2008:
I'd like to install an ammeter on my vehicle dash showing what actual amps are going from tug into van when driving, and also to show (when vehicle is stationary and off) what amps are going from the van's solar system into the vehicle. The ammeter would therefore need to be able to show "positive" and "negative" amps.
I have an 8 mm cable from vehicle battery via circuit breaker to 12 pin flat socket at the back of the car, and then a 6 mm cable from the socket to the van's batteries (installed by BT) specifically for this purpose.
Has anyone done such a thing or can offer any advice?
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Happy Camper - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 06:52

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2008 at 06:52
Rick,

The amp meter needs to be in the feed cable that goes into the 12 pin plug that supplies the battery feed for the BT. It will need to be a moving iron meter with zero point at 12 o'clock. This way you can swing the needle both left of and right of the zero point. VDO may make something along these lines, I don't think a digi meter will do this but may be wrong. Depending on the amps you're envisioning pumping through will determine whether you'll need a shunt. I seem to recall the older series Landrovers had such a meter on the dash.

Al

AnswerID: 576618

Our Sponsors