Annie Beadell Highway

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:11
ThreadID: 125302 Views:3783 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone done the Annie Beadell Highway with a BT recently.

We're thinking of it as a way to WA from Coober pedy.

It would be with 2x 20ftrs and a new V8 troopy and a am turbo troopy
I've read , seen a few stories on it & had a fair bit of bush experience.
we'd be heading for Newman from S/E Qld & Tamworth area in mid Feb.
Might go via Lake Ayre as it'll probaly be full by then.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:15

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:15
Gypsys, are you aware of ExplorOz.com? You may get information there if no-one here has done it with there BT. I know of one ExplorOz member who went through during May last year, choosing to camp and not take their van (small Supreme off-roader), but he would be able to let you know if it is 'do-able' with your rigs.

I don't know if the link to his trip report will work for you

Site Link

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576688

Reply By: The Grinch - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 21:38

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 21:38
Hi Spirit Gypysys,

We will be very interested to hear how you travells on Beadell Highway go. We will be heading to Newman in June/July and have not yet set a course but we will probably be on our own. We were thinking of doing the Plenty from the Queensland end but some bad reports have turned us off that route so are now interested in alternatives.

Peter and Laraine

AnswerID: 576689

Follow Up By: Spirit Gypsys - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:00

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 04:00
Thanks Mother Hen, I had a loook at those reports, Not much to add to my knowledge. i may put my question there. Probably worth being a member.

Peter & Laraine, I can't comment on the Plenty now, did it 35 years ago and it was 100kph all the way from the border. Qld end was not so good and probly still isn't.
As for the Anne Beadell it is only a thought yet.We could probly do it but if its too bad or slow it would not be worth it.
Early days yet.... More info will come yet.
FollowupID: 850540

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:09

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:09
Yes, Gypsys, you can ask a question as a 'lurker' and you should get some good answers. If you were a member you could send a member message direct to Richard; as a caravanner who chose not to take the van on that trip, he would have noted if any areas would be a problem. He returned via the Trans Rail Line, and did the whole trip in around two weeks. If you like, i can always ask him on your behalf.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 850541

Reply By: Happy Camper - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:31

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:31
All,
I've roamed most of this country for a lot of years now.

These are the "Rules"....

1. DON'T be fearfull, it'll cause you to make horendous mistakes.
2. DON'T be in a hurry.
3. Be confident of your skills.
4. Be Adaptable and Inventive.
5. Carry good quality gear
6. If something goes astray, make a decision over a cup of tea.

Remember, back as late as the '70's none of this technology was available and most of these places you'd like to see were opened up prior to that !

Have a look at where you'd like to go, figure out what you need, don't become overwhelmed by the whole thing, break it down to managable bits and yipee your on the way to a great adventure...!

These vans are capable of going anywhere you want.

Even the Pleny Hwy, at it's worst, (in the dry !) is passable if done slowly.

I find it sad to see some of the rigs I do cruising the bitumen, destined never to leave it, my old man would have been in Heavan with some of this gear in his younger days !

Just my 2c.

Al
AnswerID: 576690

Follow Up By: dagsy - Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 03:04

Monday, Jan 12, 2009 at 03:04
If you value your BT you won't even try the Anne Beadell there is far too much soft sand and the track is very narrow and severely corrugated with lots of overhanging bushes & scrub on both sides -

Regards
Dagsy
FollowupID: 850542

Our Sponsors