What About The Great Central Road

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:06
ThreadID: 125318 Views:3614 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, Thank you all for your advice, The Anne Beadell seems a bit too tough even for a BT . (with advice from other sources too)
and now we may be doing it solo so does anyone have info on the Great Central road as far as BT's are concerned.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:06

Sunday, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:06
Not a problem. Just take it slowly and drive to the conditions. Lots of us have done this one.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576747

Reply By: Sooty & Sue - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 03:14

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 03:14
Did the GCR last year (late April early May 08). The worst part was the section not long after leaving the tar at Ayres Rock and before the first camp at Docker River (heading west) - the corrugations were horrible. The rest of the road was fine, old bulldust holes etc. Don't expect too much from the road houses at Warrakuna and Warburton! The last (or first from the west starts with Tju........ is fantastic. If you have to pull in there the operators have a couple of emus they raised from chicks - they are very friendly and the road house is a real treat.

John
AnswerID: 576748

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:51

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:51
Hi John and Sue

We were lucky that the bad patch from the Uluru/Kata Tjuta Park to WA border had been graded the week before. Prior to that we spoke to someone who came across a road train sand bogged in the middle of the road, along with others tales about how awful it was.

We did not stay at the Docker River camp as the water supply had been vandalised and nothing worked. Shame in what must have been a nice camp. People we met on the Mulga Park Road told us the grader was working and about the damage at Docker Camp. They suggested do as they did and camp at the road works camp, but we didn't need to look for that, as with the road being good, we made better time than expected and went on to Warakurna which was nice.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850586

Reply By: Motley - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 03:47

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 03:47
If you spend the night at Warakurna, head out early next morning (you'll need to check time) to the Giles Weather Station. They run an informal tour and you het to see the first weather balloon of the day filled, launched and tracked.

Also the station is the home of Len Beadell's grader so ifyou're not travelling the Ann Beadell, at least you can see the grader which made it.

Lasseter's cave worth a look too.

Check out ExplorOz
Motley

Life's too short to drink bad wine.

AnswerID: 576749

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:45

Monday, Jan 19, 2009 at 06:45
We found Warakurna Roadhouse a very pleasant overnight stopping place. We went there to take the morning Giles Weather Station tour. They have and interesting little history room so spend a while there as well (before or after tour - or both).

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850587

Our Sponsors