TDV8 Cruiser Ute

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:28
ThreadID: 125349 Views:3287 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
As at new, June 07, the vehicle, for the want of a better description had clutch shudder.
This was reported to the Dealer who suggested to wait a while to see if it settled in.
The shudder progressively got worse with kms, but to me, and I have owned numerous manual vehicles over 40yrs, it wasn't clutch as there was no violent tail shaft hammering.
The problem occurs in 1st & Rev and mildly in 2nd and never in low range, and can most times be reduced to a lesser degree by riding the the clutch.
Why I am not convinced on clutch is that: 4 out of 10 times smooth as a auto, 5/10 mild to severe, 1/10 violent shudder and shake.
In mild form as clutch is engaging and vehicle starting to move it feels like a badly buckled rim and the vehicle wobbles like a half set jelly.
In more severe form, if clutch is disengaged quickly, the wobble continues momentarily.
At about 5000kms the clutch was replaced and flywheel machined. No difference.
Around 15000kms, clutch and pressure plate, flywheel and associated bearings all replaced. No better.
At this stage they agreed with me that the clutch does not appear to be the problem.
I have to say that the Service Guys have been most cooperative, and after the last effort I hear from them quite regularly asking for the vehicle so as they can try another fix that they have come up with. But to no avail.
Most of the remedies they have tried are what they have found on the Toyota Service Site, one of which was when they found that 3 other Cruisers with a similar affliction were fixed with new tail shafts. No such luck with me.
Other fixes tried were new engine and gearbox mounts, changed wheels and tires, checked gearbox and diff angles, reprogram computer??? (desperate) and removed the air bags etc etc.
The Ser Man has tried for 9mths to get one of the Tech Buffs up from head office but apparently one problem in the boondocks doesn't warrant immediate attention.
Have owned a BT for the same period of time but are reluctant to travel to far, only 5000kms as yet, because the most severe reactions have occurred when towing. Had the clutch smoking one time getting moving.
After all that, has anyone experienced or heard of a similar problem, or more so , how was it fixed?
Any help will be appreciated,
Ken

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobrovin - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 04:11

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2009 at 04:11
Hi Ken
I have not looked under a cruiser ute so this is just my thoughts but if you have ruled out all the things above than I would be looking at the rear axle assembly mountings. It sounds like it may have some very soft or loose location bushes that move under sudden load.
Maybe you can get someone to lay alongside and watch the back axle assembly for shake while you take off.
Bob
AnswerID: 576840

Our Sponsors