Kimberleys: Bell Gorge & Mt Hart Wild'ness Lodge

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:14
ThreadID: 125362 Views:3961 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
A query for any of you who have been to the Kimberley's in the past year or two.
Can you get a BT into Bell's Gorge or Mount Hart Wilderness Lodge?
Trying to tie up remaining loose ends of our final itinerary for this winter.
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:38

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:38
Rick,
We haven't been to Mount Hart but at Bell's Gorge there is an open camping area at Silent Grove a few k's from Bell Gorge where we have stayed twice. There are toilets and showers there and that is about it.
From Silent Grove into Bells Gorge there are a number of camping locations where there may be drop toilets, but no other facilities and they are allocated on a first in first served basis and you can collect a tag from the board at Silent Grove and claim that camping location.

Personally I prefer the Silent Grove camp spot, especially if you are travellinmg with others. Road in to there is no problems and usually there is one creek crossing with water in it.

At Manning Gorge you may as well camp at the camping area near the river because you pay the same fees to the station to go in to the gorge as you do to camp there and also go to the gorge.

At Leonard River Gorge, DO NOT take the van down to the end of the track near the gorge as it is very tight to turn around if other vehicles are there. You could camp in a cleared area on the left not far in off the Gibb River road. There is also a good free camp area beside the Leonard River where it Crosses the GRR not far from the Windjana Gorge turn off.

When you are at the Kalumburu Road off the GRR the Gibb River crosses Kalumburu Road not far from the GRR and there is a good free camp on both sides of the road next to the river.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576892

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:53

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:53
Brian, almost all of the GRR free camp spots that don't have toilets have been closed down - large signage displayed, especially at the previously popular Gibb River crossing.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850672

Reply By: Silver and Tinks - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 00:18

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 00:18
Hi Guys

At silent grove you can camp with the rest but if you are lucky check the board at the entry near the campground to see if any of the private sites are available and take the tag for the site.

They have a flushing toilet and one even has its own swimming hole.

Scott and Jacky
AnswerID: 576893

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:47

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:47
The above sites were closed in May/June last year due to being burnt out. There are a number of relatively unknown sites to camp on the Kalumburu Road. Plain Creek (past the Gibb River crossing site mentioned by Brian) Donkey Creek on the RHS is worth exploring but dont try and get the van in there. There are also gravel pits on the way north. Best advise is to carefully study good maps (max 1/250,000) and look for interesting places of the road, explore side tracks and look for nearby gorges identified by tight contour lines.

I posted a report on ther Gibb on the 1 in 1000 site - Secret camping spots.

I will not divulge special spots I found on a public access forum

John
FollowupID: 850673

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:09

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:09
We were happy with Silent Grove when the private sites were closed. With wet areas near the private sites, we thought of mosquitoes and midges. We chose to stay at the fairly cheap and nice DEC camp grounds, rather than our usual choice of a gravel pit, to be ready to go to the gorge and walk before it got too hot. As typical with DEC campsites, we chose the generator area rather than quiet camping - less people and families so invariably a quieter night.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850674

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:14

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:14
Hi Rick

We didn't go to Mt Hart as it was accommodation only without camping. A phone call would confirm for you; 91914645 or mhart@bigpond.com.

Lennard Gorge was the only national park gorge we chose not to go into due to access and turning - although some made it! The rest were easy access.

My trip notes are still in the making, and i have got drafts of the trip through the GRR done, which i can email you if you would like.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

AnswerID: 576894

Follow Up By: Sooty & Sue - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 08:19
Hi MH

"- although some made it", you have to be referring to us. Hahahahaha

It was very tight and we were lucky to get out as easily as we did so I wouldn't advise you to go in there with the van Rick.

J say Hi to Mr J from us both.

John
FollowupID: 850675

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:17

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:17
Hi John & Sue

Sure was!

Cheers

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850676

Our Sponsors