security screens

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:20
ThreadID: 125363 Views:3772 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone devised a way of mounting some form of window security screen so you can leave windows open at night when you are camping in isolated areas. I was thinking of the stainless steel flywire mesh that is available now, this maybe able to be fixed on the inside screwed to the aluminium frame surrounding the window with cut outs for the winder and the window slide locks, I have the older style windows.

Regards
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:40

Sunday, Feb 01, 2009 at 23:40
Eric,

Do you want to leave the windows open while you are away from the van or are you talking about while sleeping at night.

I think that in isolated areas you are safer than populated areas and we always sleep with windows open when camped alone in isolated areas.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576895

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:29

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:29
Eric,

I totally agree with Brian. Attempted access to an occupied van is very rare - particularly out bush. Campers with no security at all don't seem to have a problem. I would forget about it. If you really feel insecure then a mobile security device such asf the 'Doberman' brand works pretty good!

Cheers John
FollowupID: 850677

Follow Up By:- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:42

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:42
Probably the problem is not convincing Eric the merits of the proposal but to convince Gail who understandably has another view on the matter.

Anyone care to try......yo
FollowupID: 850678

Reply By: Gone Bush - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:05

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:05
Mr Smith and Mr Wesson make some very effective security devices.

AnswerID: 576896

Follow Up By:- Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:10

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:10
So did the gentlemens Colt and Winchester....the best being one that looks in profile like a pair of bloodshot eyes close together looking at you.
FollowupID: 850679

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:50

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 04:50
HI Eric

I agree with the others; when camped in isolated areas, you are isolated - no-one around, just as i like it. No need to even lock the door.

People camp in tents and canvas trailers camp out without fear of intrusion (we used to).

Cities are another matter - they say to lock up if you both go to the bathroom at CPs in some areas. Something that makes a loud noise when you press it - like that of a snarling dog or a fire siren may be the best defence if nervous overnight in a notorious area.

Relax and enjoy.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 576897

Reply By: Eric & Gail - Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:18

Monday, Feb 02, 2009 at 23:18
Thanks all, have noted some of your unusual suggestions on how to solve the problem, perhaps I need to speak to some of the gentlemen you refer to, wink wink. however on the more serious side you hit the nail on the head Ern, a males life all comes down to keeping the one who shares your bed happy, mind you I do always try my best. I was refering more to the roadside free rest areas that are in the Camps 4 book that are not off down the back out of site, these can be in isolated ares and when you are the only one there she gets a bit nervous, the one we stayed at in December on the Putty Road is a good example,or in town where we my prop alongside a park or river as we do for an overnight, you do get the local hoons roaming around at times, only a problem in hot weather of course when you want to leave a couple open. I thought someone may have had a go at it,
if I have a go at it I will report my success or failure. Might head up to Rainbow Beach next week for a spot of R&R and a fish as well, Fraser Island, area Qld for those in far flung places of our great land, don't you just love this country especially when you keep seeing every night on the BOX, the terrible things that are happening to so many other people around the world, not to mention the poor buggers in VIC loosing homes in fires that some A... Hole has lit, and north QLD where it just doesn't want to stop raining, better stop now before I have you all shedding a tear, I won't mention the financal S..T we are all in, that's another story.
Regards to all
Eric
AnswerID: 576898

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 03:40

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 03:40
Eric,

We leave the windows open and just lock the door when we are on truck stops and other roadside rest areas.
Only once at 6.00am have we had someone knock on the door and that was an 18 year old boy who had been to Qld and was returning home to mum in Vic and had run out of petrol. He had $5 in cash and asked us if we had any fuel or could we drive him to the next town when we got going. I think he was afraid to ask any of those big bad truckies so he came to the only caravan and asked us. I gave him some fuel and he was such an honest kid that he kept telling me to stop because he only had $5 cash.

The only towns that we don't stay close to are those like Morree where there is a large population of unemployed darker people. If you get well out of town to camp then we have never had a problem.

I wouldn't even consider putting any sort of security screen on our van.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

FollowupID: 850680

Reply By: Wherrol - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 02:43

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 02:43
Hi there,

Understand how you feel Gail. We decided on a Sat phone. No one can come in time but at least we feel safer that someone can find us.

The worst thing that happened to us was in a caravan park at Urunga NSW (Near Coffs Harbour). We were tired, could not find a freebie so in we pulled.

At 10.30pm we got a very loud thump on the side of the van.
At 11.30pm we got another very loud thump on the side of the van.
At 12.30pm we got three stingrays (one with a barb still attached) lobbed at the roof, obviously making to try and get the fish into the open Dometic hatch.

We rang the Constabulary. Believe it or not they were three minutes away on another matter. The Constable pointed out that 'if the youths came back he could not be responsible for what we did". After all he said "he would be away in Bellingen and could not get back to rescue the louts". Big help. Anyway they disappeared.

As for the fish? They were dead. A long handled dustbrush threw them off. Then Allan collected them all in plastic bag, with rubber gloves.

Cheers

Allan and Sharon

AnswerID: 576899

Our Sponsors