Internet Dropping out

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:01
ThreadID: 125365 Views:3800 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
For the past few months since we have been using the Bigpond ADSL modem model number 2701 HGV-W that has both Ethernet connections and WiFi we have suffered drop out of the internet.
Bigpond have sent technicians out and repaired faults in the lines in the street, replaced the modem, replaced filters and done numerous tests but could not come up with the source of the problem.

Eventually after logging each drop out we were experiencing and then sending a letter with the report to Bigpond Customer Relations in Melbourne we then received a call from a different section of Technical Support.

After explaining the problem of how the Internet was dropping out while it was made to work with large downloads or while using Skype, and that it was worse if more than one computer was on the Internet, they did a Firmware upgrade on the modem by sending information to the unit over the Internet.

This helped but the problem continued so the Technician asked me to check the power supply to the modem. Ours was supplied in August -September 2008 and it had a Transformer that reduced the 240 volt power down to 12 volts and 0.6 Amps. The technician thought that our problem might be power related so he sent out a new transformer that reduced the power to 12 volts and 2.2 Amps, and Bingo with 3 computers on line and all working downloading at the same time there have been no further drop outs.

So if any of you are experiencing problems with your Bigpond ADSL modems with Wi Fi that are model number 2701 HGV - W the problem may be that the 0.6 Amp power supply is getting overloaded and turning the Internet off until the modem is able to re-boot again. At least it is something worth informing Bigpond Technical Support about.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nevian - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:15

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:15
That is very interesting Brian
I do not have the modem in question but was interested in your comment of Skype dropping out. I have an Big PondExpress card34 for my Mac Pro book and while it worked perfectly fine pretty much all the time it did constantly drop out when using Skype. I tried to cut out the video at first as that uses up bandwidth but even without it the drop out continued.

In a fit of persecution, I figured it was sneaky Telstra making sure I didn't get a few communications free. Perhaps there is a more rational explanation, would you have any ideas?
Julie
AnswerID: 576900

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:46

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:46
Yes - keen to hear any responses here. Have a friend who has just gone line free totally for travel reasons and is getting frustrated the same way!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 576901

Reply By: Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 04:38

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 04:38
srftghsrth
AnswerID: 576902

Reply By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:34

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:34
Well so far we have had higher amperage modem for 2 days and the Internet NOT dropped out once, even when we put 3 computers on line and have them accessing different web sites such as the weather maps that are constantly updating.

Have been on Skype and Skype has dropped twice but whose end it was that was the cause is not known as our Internet and their Internet did NOT drop out, just the Skype hook up. We have noticed that Skype drops out more when the users are above the 10 million mark so it may well be the Skype system itself.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576903

Our Sponsors