Problem with Tekonsha Prodigy

Submitted: Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:13
ThreadID: 125372 Views:4459 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My 5 year old Tekonsha Prodigy is currently feeding back to the brake lights on my vehicle and making the brake lights stay on permanently. I have been to an auto electrician here in Tasmania who has put in a diode to circumvent the problem. However this is a temporary fix only. He tells me that there was a problem with the early Prodigy's that caused the brake lights to stay on. Has anyone had this problem or heard of it?

Does anyone know of a Tekonsha rep in Tasmania? Have tried their web site but it will not work for me.

Enjoying Tasmania in the meantime.

Regards
Sheryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:32

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 08:32
It is a recognised Prodigy problem.
They were taking them back for exchange.
Worth checking with Prodigy to see if the exchange program still exists.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 576941

Follow Up By: Turist - Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:15

Friday, Feb 06, 2009 at 18:15
OOPS!

It was the Tekonsha Voyager that had the ongoing problem.
But maybe the same problem is re-occurring.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 850707

Reply By: Paul and Barb - Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:55

Saturday, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:55
I have had the same problem, the F250 was parked on a slight backward incline at the time. Of course, I only noticed them when it got dark, had me stumped for a while, I ended up taking out the globes until it dawned on me that it may have been the controller. Ended up pulling out the controller for a couple of weeks as I was not using the vehicle, then put it back in, no problem since. Could it have been the "pendulum" in the unit moving backwards because of the incline and activating the lights?

Paul.
AnswerID: 576942

Reply By: Bogged Mick - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 04:28

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 04:28
Sheryl,

We had the same problem with our 100 Series Landcruiser. An auto electrician couldn't find the problem. A smart fellow at the local Toyota dealer told me to disconnect the controller for a while, we were not towing at the time. That fixed the problem and it did not reoccur when we reconnected. We haven't had the problem since.

Regards,

Mick
AnswerID: 576943

Reply By: Sassy Sam - Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:35

Sunday, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:35
Thanks for the input. When the problem was detected I am afraid I was on a very level piece of ground so not sure whether the pendulum is involved.
I have tried to contact Tekonsha via the internet for a contact in Australia, but the system will not allow my contact to be submitted. So does anyone out there know of a contact number for Tekonsha in Australia?

Regards
Sheryl
AnswerID: 576944

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:26

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:26
Hi Sheryl, contact number for Technical assistance is (Toll Free) 1-888-785-5832

or www.tekonsha.com

Hope this helps, Kind regards, Keith & Joan.
AnswerID: 576945

Follow Up By: Keith & Joan - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:43

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:43
Hi Sherl, sorry but I just dialled that number and it is a faulty number.
It is the number I got from my Tekonsha installation instruction paperwork, so it is useless putting there really !
I did get on to their web site, but it is an American site, so phone numbers there are just as useless. They obviously do not want you to contact them!

I will continue to do some digging on your behalf, and will let you know if I come up with anything.
Regards, Keith & Joan.
FollowupID: 850708

Reply By: Keith & Joan - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:00

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 04:00
Hi Sherl, I got the following posts from www.exploreoz.com
Sounds like you have to take it back to where you bought it, if that is known to you. You might get some clues from the posts below.
Have you tried disconnecting it for a few minutes, and then re-connecting it. Others have done this and fixed the problem. Cheers, Keith & Joan.

POST 1.
Well it had to happen. My Tekonsha Voyager has started flashing the brake lights! I would like to find out who the Aussie distributor is? I read in the archives that they were being swapped for a new one/or Prodigy as they have a 5yr warranty. I could go to repco but I can't be shagged stuffing around. Easier to go to the horses mouth! funny thing is that it's been on the vehicle over 12 mths with no probs. and started the brake light thing only recently.

Leroy
Advertisement
Suppress Advertisement - Members Only
ThreadID: 34762 Replies: 2
Views: 625 FollowUps: 7
This Thread has been Archived
Thread Summary

AnswerID: 177639 Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:30
disco1942 replied:
Leroy

Take it back to where you got it from. They should know about the warranty problems. Do not let them put a diode in the wire to the brake pedal – this stops your problem but the controller is required to illuminate the stop lights when you use the thumb control to manually apply the brakes – the diode will prevent this happening.

PeterD
Reply 1 of 2
FollowupID: 433767 Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:21
Leroy posted:
thanks for that. I bought the controller second hand but new ( 1 mth old) when I bought this guys trailer so I don't have the receipt.

Leroy
FollowUp 1 of 4
FollowupID: 433793 Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 13:47
Shaker posted:
Ring Camec in Dandenong, obviously don't tell them that you bought it s/hand.
They will ask for a receipt, tell them that you have misplaced it, if they insist, just tell them that you might as well just report it to Vicroads Road Safety Division.
It will be replaced immediately.
They couldn't post mine out fast enough!
FollowUp 2 of 4
FollowupID: 433816 Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 15:03
Leroy posted:
Shaker,

On their website it states they only sell to trade only. Do they sell to the public?

Leroy
FollowUp 3 of 4
FollowupID: 433828 Submitted: Friday, Jun 09, 2006 at 16:10
Shaker posted:
That is true, but they are a distributor & will replace it.
FollowUp 4 of 4
AnswerID: 576946

Our Sponsors