Any body know what a Warrumbool is - please

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 06:04
ThreadID: 125396 Views:3599 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all,
This question has been posted on another website by us. We would really like to know the answer and even the local Shire Council has yet to answer this when put to them a month or so back.

We travel through the delightful region around Bourke to Moree quite a bit in order to visit family in SE Qld. Along the way we see signs denoting the "x" or "Y" Mile Warrumbool etc.

This term has us intrigued and we wonder what the term Warrumbool means.

As already said I asked this same question of a Shire council via their website conact address and they seem to have ignored the question.

A Google search does not reveal any thing much either, other than a reference to a Mountain Range rather than a water course.

Cheers - Ian & Sally
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Finch's nest - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:23
Ian& Sally. Around Walgett you can find the Shepherds / Cumbadoon /Pocketewa /Dead Bullock /Cubbaroo /Chambers . These are all Warrambools There is also the Warrambool Drain. Possibly a few I have missed They all look like water courses The actual meaning of Warrambool escapes me.But there seems to be an area that is refered to as the Warrambool You may have to look up the meaning of aboriginal words. possibly a starting point . Regards Clive.
AnswerID: 577014

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 07:39

Friday, Feb 20, 2009 at 07:39
Thanks to all - the spelling seems to be the problem.
We actually stopped and noted the sign spelling which is we originally posted.

However Nomadic Navara's reference (on Explore Oz) to the Geoscience Australia(I think) web site and place names has numerous references of the Warrambool spelling and it all points to a word for a water course. All seemingly in that region.
Why don't they just say 21mile Creek etc like other regions!

Also it is not the first time we have come across official signs with contradictory spellings.
Any way the solution is now there. Thanks.

Sort of related -
When I 1st worked at Woomera I had quite severe crticism from fellow workers for putting Woocalla on documentation where it was involved. I was told emphatically that it was Woolcalla. So one evening on the way home from a trip down the pipeline road to Port Augusta I brought up the topic and the manager travelling with me wanted to put a BIG amount of money that he was correct and I was not!

So I turned back and showed him the sign - it was clearly Woocalla. I really should have taken his generous offer!

This was also the map spelling and it appears that since Woomera had begun, all documents had the spelling as Woolcalla!

Semantics? Most likely, but sometimes confusing. Lots of stuff gets changed by common small changes which become the 'norm'.

Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 577015

Our Sponsors