deep cycle batteries

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 23:55
ThreadID: 125402 Views:3677 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I, like most, am running a deep cycle auxiliary battery in my tow vehicle, mainly to run my EvaKool fridge/freezer.

I have a Rotronics management system, and also connect the vehicle to the van when parked, via the Anderson cable, to maintain charge either from the battery charger or solar, depending on whether we're 'plugged in' or not.
The deep cycle batteries I have had- a couple of Trojans and a Century- don't seem to last longer than twelve to eighteen months (or just after the warranty expires- am I paranoid??).

Also, when I installed the deep cycle battery in my LandCruiser, they removed the original two cranking batteries (connected in parallel) and replaced it with one single, larger capacity cranking battery- 700 CCA. These have generally gone well for a couple of years, but I thought that I should expect a longer life than that. Does anyone know of a larger capacity battery that will physically fit in the space provided?

Is this a common experience?

BobH
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deleted User - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:30

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:30
Bob, goto
FILE SWAP
Power Wiring and Electrics
CHARGING VAN BATTERIES FROM VEHICLE.doc

The charging of vehicle aux batteries is the same as charging the van batteries. The same criteria is applicable to both. AGM deep cycle batteries are a different beast to flooded lead acid. The voltage switches that are commonly used is not good enough. They work up to a point but will not fully charge a battery.
It aint that simple to put it mildly. I would hazard a guess most auto leckies would not know how to do it properly. They go with the "industry standard" which they buy from a wholesaler.

AnswerID: 577027

Reply By: Laurieph - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:32

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 21:32
BobH

Deep cycle batteries do not get a full charge from the alternator when you take into account the voltage drop of the cables to the batteries, Have a look at this site I am sure you will find some of your answers there.

ranox.com.au/

Laurie
AnswerID: 577028

Our Sponsors