Water in the Simpson, Diamantina, Lake Eyre

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 00:31
ThreadID: 125403 Views:4126 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Have heard there is a 20km wide river beyond Big Red, west of Birdsville, and that heavy rain in the Mt Isa - Longreach area has put a lot of water down the Diamantina and the Cooper Creek.

If this means that there will be a lot of water in Lake Eyre, we wouldnt mind taking a trip out there about May to see the wildlife and flora.

If anyone has reports on road conditions, best vantage points, camps etc., it would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of going via Macquarie Marshes to Bourke and following the Darling to Wilcannia, then White Cliffs & Corner Country, Birdsville, Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges and back home.

I reckon it would be a good challenge to do this trip without staying in any carava parks.

Cheers..........Rob and Liz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:20

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 05:20
Oh! for more time to travel and we would meet you along the way.
Re the challenge of doing the trip van park free!
What we know of the regions and have experienced in our travels over the years it should be a piece of cake!
Or like some famous (or infamous) Scottish dude on a TV ad says "like a walk in the park".

The Wild flowers should be wild! July 2004 saw us up that way after a single 300mm rain in 24hours episode around Mt Isa in the previous January sent water down the Diamantina and Coopers and we travelled for some 10 days in pure colour! We took 3 days to go up and then three to come home = 16 days all up.
Can you imagine 5 - 7 feet tall grasses around the river banks near Birdsville, the scrub at Coongie Lakes looked like the green of Sherwood Forest with the undergrowth of two feet tall Kykuyu (or similar)!

That trip made up our minds for us to go away from swag camping on long trips and look for a decent off road van!

Jealous Cheers - Ian & Sally
AnswerID: 577029

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:17

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:17
Not to mention the flooding that is now around Bourke. Many of these outback roads might be closed for a long time yet.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 850746

Follow Up By: Mobi Condo - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:31

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2009 at 07:31
Yes we hope they will dry up before mid July! Hm! Thats about 5 months from now!
LSL trip we have planned goes via Broken Hill, Corner Country, Innamincka Charleville, Muttaburra, Longreach and general dinosaur regions to Cairns, Cape York. Then home via Chillagoe, Undara, Cobbold Gorge, Gulf country, Camooweal, Diamantina NP, Birdsville etc.
Lots of that is currently under metres of water! We have our wetsuits and masks etc! :-) Should be green when it does dry out!
Any other starters?
Cheers - Ian & Sally
FollowupID: 850747

Reply By: Bushpig - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:44

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:44
Howdyall

We pickup our BT around first week of July. Our first trip will be to Lake Eyre so I will keep my eye posted here in case we can tag-along with others.

Cheers Jack & Linda
AnswerID: 577030

Follow Up By: Pixellator - Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:21

Thursday, Feb 19, 2009 at 07:21
Jack & Linda
Might see you there... I'm planning a 3+ week Brisbane-Brisbane trip to go across the Simpson, sans-BT of course. Plan to be around william Creek, might go out to Halligan Bay or ABC Bay, around 13 July... i'll keep an eye out for the BT.
BobH
FollowupID: 850748

Reply By: 11-UPS - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 02:53

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 02:53
Bob

If going to Halligan Bay watch out for big hole at approx 35k's and stick to side tracks not main road as it is pretty corrugated, that was a couple of week's ago and no water but landscape is worth trip.
Heading to Kimberley's and WA might take a couple of years to get out of there depends which way the coin falls.

Darrell & Jacki
AnswerID: 577031

Reply By: Pixellator - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:57

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 01:57
Channel 7 Sunday 6.30 has a report on Lake Eyre Flooding. Unfortunately the segment appears to be hosted by that authority, J Durie. Nevertheless should be good viewing.
BobH
AnswerID: 577032

Our Sponsors