Bushtracker 16

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 21:38
ThreadID: 125427 Views:4241 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. I am interested in buying a 16' dual axle Bustracker to be towed behind my Series 80 non-turbo diesel Landcruiser. I would like to know whether this is a good combination and what I should expect to pay for the van. Many thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pixellator - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 22:43

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 22:43
Hi BVN
Check this out, from the dark side forum:
Site Link
BobH
AnswerID: 577113

Reply By: AlexMc - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 00:11

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 00:11
That one didn't make reserve on Ebay. Passed in at $36,900
Has no shower or toilet. and only one solar panel and one water tank. Still...cheap at under $40K
Site Link
AnswerID: 577114

Reply By: TripnTaps - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 04:08

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 04:08
Bushtracker were selling one recently for $99k new - it was pretty nice with a clever floor plan.

With your tow vehicle I wouldn't be going any bigger (or heavier)
We initially wanted a 16ft and were talked out of it (lots of good reasons for going to the 18ft which we did) but I still reckon 16ft would be just fine too.

cheers,
Helen
AnswerID: 577115

Follow Up By: Shortcuts - Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 22:11

Friday, Feb 27, 2009 at 22:11
We own a 14footer with the same layout minus the extra double bed. There is plenty of room for preparing meals with the long bench under the front window.
Our van has a hot water system with an external shower and 2 solar panels.
We love it for what travelling we are able to do at the moment. If you were travelling full time I am sure something bigger would be more suitable.
FollowupID: 850797

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:16

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 18:16
BVN,

I have a 2001,16 ft, dual axle BT and I paid $62,000 for it 18 months ago. At the time there was a lot of people wanted to buy it for this price or more, but the people selling it were very nice and said it was mine. I flew up to Qld the next day and gave them the money. In the current financial crisis, I think you should expect to get one cheaper than that.

16 footers are as scarce as flying fish feathers. The only way I got mine was to check the on-line ads every day at 7.00 am for months, so that when one came up, I was the first to ring.

Mine has an indoor toilet / shower and an east west double bed ( saves heaps of room, but is awkward to make ) and a good size 12 / 240 fridge with freezer.

From speaking with Steve at Bushtracker, I found out that there is two suspension types on these early 16 ft dual axle models . I was in luck and ended up with the heavy duty model.

I tow mine with a 100 Series TD. It would be very slow with a non turbo, as it is a heavy van. I think maybe you should look at a lighter off road van than a BT. Perhaps a later model 16 ft Phoenix Phase 3.

Average fuel usage on my last trip was 4.64 km per litre / 21.55 litres per 100 km, on a 9,000 km WA trip with the 100 TD.

Good luck ,

Willie.
AnswerID: 577116

Reply By: Deleted User - Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 20:16

Monday, Mar 02, 2009 at 20:16
Many thanks to those who sent replies. Re the van, I am surprised at the prices: does this replect the standard of design and features or the name? Re the 4wd, I can see that I should upgrade to a turbo and at my age, preferably an auto. I recently came across a website for after-market electronic boxes that apparently remap or at least superimpose on the exissting map and significantly increase the power and torque. This won't work on the mechanical fuel injection systems and consequently would dictate a diesel fwd with an electronic injection system. Has anyone had experience with these systems?
Regards to all.
Bob Naylor
AnswerID: 577117

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:34

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:34
Hi Bob

I'm sure your Cruiser will handle the load without adding turbo - just be prepared to go slow sometimes. We at first towed our 18' with our Nissan Patrol 3 ltr td auto (you know - the model the Cruiser people call a Hand Grenade) - which was rated to tow only 2.5 tonne due to the gearbox. It could be a slug on a standing start up a very steep slope due to the gears, but comfortably towed a lot faster that we normally travel on regular terrain. This included our tour of Tasmania. We only upgraded the tow vehicle due to the legalities of the load. I hope you find you ideal van. When you do, try it without the turbo and only if necessary add turbo or trade and upgrade your Cruiser.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577118

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:36

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:36
PS: I would have preferred a 16' to 18' but in 2004 second hand BTs were very hard to find. Ours has heaps of space and i feel i could lose a couple of feet with no ill effects. My extra large sized husband would prefer to upgrade to 19' or 20'.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 850798

Our Sponsors