Gas stoves

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 03:05
ThreadID: 125439 Views:5100 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Caprice 6000 4BGF gas stove which has been installed since early 03. I have been on the road the last 5 years mostly on the corrugations. The rear oven wall has fractured in a couple of places mainly round the oven burner. Obviously the stainless is too thin to support the weight of the burner. Additionally there is a split starting from the rear left bottom of the grill tray and running out about 3 inches. I have often had to reinstall the griller burner which has a habit of becoming unscrewwed and leaving bits all over the grill tray. I have been in contact with Thetford (the Spinflo agents) who tell me that this has not been brought to their attention before (another one in a thousand perhaps). Therefore I am looking for a new one which will fit in the same hole. I am awaiting a reply from Thetford as to whether the new one Caprice OH2000 is the same outside dimensions. Is anyone prepared to tell me about the Spirit (I think it is) which is now fitted by BT, and/or has any one else had this sort of failure with a Caprice. Before I get smart replies, yes I do not hammer the rig - yes I do go slowly on the gravel - things don't tend to fall off my BT regularly.
Len.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turist - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 03:50

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 03:50
Not unusual for the Caprice stove.

We replaced ours with the Swift, currently offered by Bushtracker.
Fits in the same hole, easy job.
Better stove all round.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577149

Reply By: Wilmo7 - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 04:33

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 04:33
Thanks mate
Was yours the Swift 500? The external measurements of the Swift 500 as depicted at www.ozvan.com.au seem a little different to the old Caprice. Confirm that if yours is a Swift 500 that it is drop out, drop in exchange for the Caprice.
Tanks
len
AnswerID: 577150

Follow Up By: Turist - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:00

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:00
Not sure abut the model number but the picture on that web page looks right.
Another owner may comment.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 850806

Reply By: Boystoy - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:21

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 09:21
Hi Len,

I have virtually rebuilt our 2004 model Caprice stove. As you know just about everything falls off. I solved the griller falling off by using M5 screws with nylock nuts.
Have replaced the thermocouple on the griller which was broken when thr griller fell off. I also have drilled out one of the jets on the back LH "hotplate" (what do you call a gas burner?) so we could get a decent size saucepan to boil.
We had the glass top just "explode" while just having some pasta on a slow boil. Dometic didn't want to know about it & wanted $180 for a replacement.
I had a stainless steel top made up, using 2mm stainless, which works out about the same weight as the glass, so I was able to use the original hinges. Works well.
After the last trip, the stainless steel top of the stove around the burners cracked on both sides about 60mm back from the front. No spares are available as it is now a discontinued model.
I pulled the stove completely out dismantled it & got the top plate welded. I added screws with nylock nuts so that there is no longer stress on the top plate. I also improved the insulation around the oven so that the cabinet doesn't also cook when we are doing a baked dinner in the oven.
Yes its been a bit of a pain in the but!, however, Pat likes the way it cooks. We have never had a problem with the oven (lucky, maybe) & we find the oven easy to keep clean. Have heard complaints from people with the Swift about difficulty in keeping their oven clean- different finish.
Yes maybe we should have chucked it out, but now having rebuilt it using some basic engineering principles, we think it will now last the the life of the BT

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 577151

Our Sponsors