Camec Windows

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 20:02
ThreadID: 125459 Views:4135 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All,
We are considering ordering another BT,and have heard reports that Camec changed their window design/construction a few years back,and since then there has been problems with some fitted to BT's. Bushtracker advise against having them fitted anymore,the Dometic window is now their preferred option. However we have seen many caravans ( including BT's ) in our travels that have the Dometic windows,many of the owners we've spoken to are not real impressed with their windows.Mainly due to having to drop the insect screens to close the windows of a night,which lets all the bugs on the outside of the screen into the van. Also in gusty wind the window can lift up and slam clossed.
I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter.We've had the Camec windows and never had a problem,but they were fitted before Camec are reported to have changed design/construction .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:21

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 03:21
We have a new van and it has also come with the new Dometic windows. We had heard mixed reports on them, and can say that our views are also a mixture of positive and negative. The negative is that insects got inside (we put Selleys No More Gaps in the holes and that has worked very well); that they are fiddly to put up and down; and the mesh appears to be somewhat fragile. We have now got used to them and no longer find them fiddly, although the jury is out on the fragility issue.

The positives are that they are double glazed, keeping heat or cold (and sound!)out very well indeed; the screen blinds pull up quickly and effectively block out all light, leaving a nice dim cabin - or partly pull up for adjusted light levels and privacy; and they can be closed from outside the van (you can adjust them from outside if that is your preference).

Overall, I vastly prefer them. They are a sophisticated addition to the van and one I value. Whether or not you end up liking them will be personal preference.
Chris
AnswerID: 577254

Follow Up By: Yogi and Muffin - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 22:25

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 22:25
We too have picked up our "2nd" BT, now with Dometic windows. Very happy with them as Chris has advised. Yes, you need to take a little more care with them when adjusting the insect screens, use a surface insecticide around the screen guides at each side and brush off insects from outside the van if you need to close tham at night to prevent insect access.
Despite all that, we refused our previous order when the wrong windows were installed, and now have no regrets, as the additional insulation from double glazing has been worth the wait.
Remember to travel with no screens in place to prevent rubbing inside the frames, and we believe that they are a worthwhile change to the BT standard.
We would agree that the earlier CAMEC windows had few problems, but the change in standards has apparently left something wanting from the BT perspective; the new Dometic motorised hatch over our bed was also a wonderful addition, with the added bonus of a point of roof inspection without the need to use a ladder!
Yogi & Muffin

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 850887

Reply By: Gone Bush - Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 04:23

Sunday, Mar 15, 2009 at 04:23
Nik'n'Off has previously posted info on how he sorted out the bug issue. I'm sure a search, or a Member Message to him, might get the answers.

AnswerID: 577255

Our Sponsors