Dometic Air Conditioners again

Submitted: Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:43
ThreadID: 125473 Views:4931 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We have a broken motor mounting, and i found an very good parts diagram on the caravansplus website (we have purchased from them before). A site search for the part did not find it.

I know the problems others have had in not being able to obtain parts for the Dometic Cal 136. Has anyone found a source than may have the part we need, or near enough to improvise? I have not seen the breakage, but my husband thinks it is the grommet on the parts chart.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:12

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:12
MH,

we had to have our Dometic AirCon looked at early in the life of our Trakkie and these people were the only ones available in Perth:

South Metro Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Service
5 Bettenay Road
ROLEYSTONE WA 6111 Telephone
08 9496 2416

They were very good.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 577297

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:18

Monday, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:18
Thanks Stephen

I know others have found parts somewhat impossible to get so thought i was on a winner when Caravansplus had a diagram and parts list - but the parts came up as unavailable. I was doing a search for the diagram as the book we have is useless - tells you all about how to cut a hole in your caravan to fit it - but not about parts.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 850907

Reply By: Fred & Marj - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 01:36

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 01:36
When I had a problem while on the road I rang Dometic and they gave me the name of the nearest dealer which happened to be Rockhampton - they where very helpful regarding information although in our case we had the aircon replaced in the end because it was not repairable.

regards

Wayne
Helen & Wayne

AnswerID: 577298

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:06

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:06
Thanks Wayne. I just emailed Dometic, and they said if CaravansPlus don;t have the part in stock (it is only a rubber grommet), they can supply it to them. I have just emailed CaravansPlus, who i have purchased from before.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850908

Reply By: Boystoy - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:41

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 20:41
Hi Ms Hen,

If the grommet is the same as the ones that failed on our AC. These are on the main motor that doubles as air circulation to the van and cooling to the AC compressor.

I found that the design is NOT suitable to outback roads as the grommet is supported on what is virtually a "kinfe" edge of sheet metal which cuts through the grommet.

I modified the mounting so that the grommets now sit on a "cup" support rather than the knife edge. Replacing the grommets either as original or modified like mine is a bugger of a job, but once done like my mods is worthwhile.

By the way I was able to get the exact grommets from Clark Rubber. Dometic didn't want to know about them.
If you need some photos of my mods send me an email & I will send them to you

good luck

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

AnswerID: 577299

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 03:55

Monday, Mar 23, 2009 at 03:55
Hi Neil and thanks

We have purchased some from Clark Rubber which my husband thinks looks right - i did not see what is needed. Caravansplus said Dometic will only sell them the whole mounting.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 850909

Our Sponsors