Generator on Drawbar

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 24, 2009 at 20:09
ThreadID: 125488 Views:4821 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've seen it somewhere but can't seem to relocate it; where a BT owner has a generator in a box on the drawbar, and then folds down the sides of the box and runs the unit in situ.

Does anybody do this, or know of any reasons why this shouldn't be done?

I'm thinking here of the Honda 2KVa unit, which by all reports does the job of running the airconditioner adequately on most occasions.

Thanks for your help. Regards,

Col and Diane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Silver Fox - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:17

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 00:17
That may be my home-made generator box. It's in my pic section. If so and interested and those pics are not a large enough size you could e-mail me on member message with your e-mail and I could send larger files. e.g. 150Mb. Plus I could give some hints on the making of if DIY is undertaken.
There were warnings a few years ago about sparks igniting the exhausted gas from the regulator. However that has since been debunked by quite a lot of people. My box as you will see has the stone guard between it and the gas tanks anyway. I have been very happy with the way my idea turned out. Quite practical. The only issues I have had were to do with the seals which had been letting in small amounts of dust and rain. Recently I redid the seals and looks ok now. cheers, Neil.
AnswerID: 577355

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:50

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:50
Hi Col and Diane

Ours is a bit different, and opens from the front, with the generator on a slide. We generally take it out if using it, but is can be run in situ. The front opening can be either perpendicular or horizontal, the latter being a bit of a roof if raining. Steve of BTi does not recommend running a genny this close to the gas bottles, but with the front opening, ours is well shielded. I can email photos.

Someone on the caravaners Forum posted picture of theirs which had mesh sides, made to run in situ.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577356

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:34

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:34
Greetings Col and Diane

The big problem with generators and particularly the more portable versions, is that they are portable and as such are very stealable. This requires that the generator be secured both while in storage and in use.

Something that we came across in the course of designing our setup that may be of use to you in your deliberations.
The Honda 2's also generate 12Volts and that 12 Volt supply can be utilised to run a cooling fan (radiator type) to assist with cooling the generator while it is in use in a enclosed lockable box generating 240 Volts. The boosted air must go through the generator case and not just around it to have the required cooling effect in a enclosed locked box situation.

I recognise that our setup is different from that which you propose, in that ours operate, and are stored, within fully enclosed lockable boxes, and this requires that they have cooling asistance by fan forced air while in operation.

For us it means that when we are enjoying the airconditioner at night, and the generator runs out of fuel, we can stay in bed and not worry about someone cutting a security cable and walking away with the generator, while we thought all was well until morning.

Your situation may lend itself to a weldmesh box (for use during opertion) inside a dropside protective sealed box (for protection from the elements and stones when not in use), and in which case the above regarding our setup will probably prove irrelevent.

At the end of the day though, locks were only meant to keep honest people honest.

I have loaded a picture of our boxes under the Pictures tab.

If you want any particulars on our setup, send me a Member Message.

Hope yours works out for you.

John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 577357

Follow Up By: Gone Bush - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:51

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:51
John, that's a good idea utilising the 12v outlet. Your fans look like huge computer fans, where did you get them from?

Do they extract the air thru the scupper vent or pull it in and then out thru the other one?

FollowupID: 850946

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 21:54

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 21:54
Stephen

The fans are automotive ones I bought from Auto Pro, but you could probably get them from Supercheep or elsewhere. They come in varying sizes.

The fans have been mounted to draw air through the scupper it is mounted over, and the blue dense rubber is a neat fit around the generator to provide a baffle in the closed box which forces all the air through the engine cooling sustem.

The hot air and exhaust go out throught the larger scupper on the back while the other smaller one above it is an additional outlet for the hot air.

The two generators can be run singly or both at the same time.

If free standing the generators and running interconnected, the manufacturers suggest a 1m seperation to prevent interference between the electronics of each.
With both generators mounted in adjacent steel boxes, we have found there is no interference between them, presumably due to the shielding provided by the steel boxes.

Cheers
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 850947

Our Sponsors