Bushtracker Friendly Roads

Submitted: Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 20:55
ThreadID: 125545 Views:3988 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Folks,
are there any publications / web-sites etc. which rate Australian roads for their ease / difficulty of travel when towing a large caravan such as a BT?

Reason - we have just returned from Tasmania [towing our TVan - pre BT delivery] and were somewhat concerned with the narrow and winding Tasmanian road systems - we saw many near misses - how would we fare with a 20' BT?

cheers

Searenity
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 22:55

Friday, Apr 10, 2009 at 22:55
Hi Searenity

Not that i know of. I usually ask here. Last year we travelled in the Kimberley, and i after asking, decided where we would be wise not to go (only Lennard Gorge) although a member did get his bigger than our rig in there it was fun turning around! In Alice Springs, i asked around the caravan park before deciding. Most places were OK.

When we went to Tasmania, a Tassie member posted a suggested trip plan as there were quite a few of us going that year. It is still in the documents folder. Tassie is a bit different than mainland.

On ExplorOz.com, at my request they now rank the trek notes with suitability for caravans, but this still does not tell us why, as size is our limitation when we have the rough road capability.

Just talk about your plans, and get feedback from others here is the best way i have found.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577518

Follow Up By: Turist - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 00:23

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 00:23
Lennard Gorge is a bit of a challenge.
We went in there in 2003, thought I'd never get out again.
Staff at the roadhouse further back down the GRR reckoned it would be OK for a van.
Yeh! Maybe a T van with a small 4wd.
Not for a BT with a F250 up front.

I think the last turn to escape was around a 68 point turn.
And we wont talk about some of the washouts.

Another BT experience, wouldn't miss one of them.

Bob
"Do It While You Can"
Nobody is getting any younger.

FollowupID: 851083

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 00:31

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 00:31
Even Alice Springs was a challenge when we got there. We asked directions to the Tourist Centre at the first business we visited. We turned down the said street, to find it closed as a shopping mall. F250 and BT and no way out, with a small turning circle only. With traffic behind us (there is multi storey car park, but too low for us to enter) we couldn't even back out. Jim managed to turn the rig around on the spot - using magic i think.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851084

Follow Up By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 23:40

Saturday, Apr 11, 2009 at 23:40
Yus Bob.... you would have been better towing in there with the Suzi than the F250 tank.LOL I got in and out with 65 turns less than you in the weenie Toyhooter.

John
FollowupID: 851085

Follow Up By: NIK `N` OFF - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 04:42

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 04:42
Damn those smug Toyota owners LOL

:-)

We drove in years back towing the jayco camper, so i knew enough not to bother taking the BT all the way in.

FollowupID: 851086

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 04:53

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 04:53
Sooty had fun turning his outfit around in a patch not much bigger than the van - as demonstrated to us later.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851087

Reply By: Sooty & Sue - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:52

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:52
Certainly did have fun but not as much as the people who had to move their pick-nick table or find it stuck in the tread of a BFG. I was lucky to get in and out in one piece.

John
AnswerID: 577519

Our Sponsors