Shortcuts in South Australia

Submitted: Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 20:43
ThreadID: 125549 Views:4333 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Has anyone taken a Bushtracker via the shortcut between the Stuart Highway and the Eyre Highway? The turnoff is 250km South from Coober Pedy, via Kingoonya on the Trans Australia Railway, & joining the Eyre Highway at Wirrula, 92km East from Ceduna.

Looking forward to comments.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 20:52

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 20:52
I've taken my present van, a Trakmaster, on that shortcut. You won't have a problem at all. As a matter of fact I'm sure you could do it in a Kingswood towing a box trailer. It's well looked after and is a recognised shortcut.

The biggest problem you will have is deciding where to camp on all the beautiful natural meadows along the way.

My advice is to take a few days, use it is an opportunity to really chill out. Ther are some really beautiful places there.
AnswerID: 577527

Reply By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 00:30

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 00:30
Hi Neil

Yes, we took the BT that way in 2006. It was fairly corrugated, and 'the driver' would not take my advice to lower tyre pressures on the BT. As a result we killed our fridge (there were other factors). It was just a normal dirt road - not the worst one we've been on. My daughter and her then fiancé went through that way in a sedan some years earlier. It is a pleasant drive apart from the corrugations.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

AnswerID: 577528

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:15

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:15
Hi Judy & Stephen,

Thanks for the advice.
I guessed that it would be a reasonable road because of the Km. it cuts off, although most maps show it as a track.
Mr. Hen, I always drop my tyre pressures according to the advice I got from Adam Platt at the Oodnadatta Pink Roadhouse a few years ago. His advice was 28psi - irrespective of load. I've used this advice & even go to 26psi for both TOJO and BT when things realy get rough. NO tyre problems in around 100,000km. Makes driving more comfortable too.
Onboard compressor gets them back up to pressure in about 15 minutes when we get back to the black stuff.

Neil

FollowupID: 851091

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:34
Hi Neil

We ran 25 psi cold on the Gibb River Road, and 28 on the other tracks last year. In over 15,000 kms, we didn't have any tyre problems at all. I think 25 was probably the best. Someone in the trade at Kununurra runs his vehicles on 28 regardless of surface, including black top. Are red devil compressor wore out on us!

It is a problem getting a farmer to run lower tyre pressures - the fear of side wall damage is greater in their minds.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Follow our travelogues, bush camping and other travel hints at www.australiasomuchtosee.com

FollowupID: 851092

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 02:37

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 02:37
Typo correction: OUR red devil compressor wore out on us
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851093

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:42

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:42
Hi Judy,

If you still need a new compressor, there will be a new Bushranger Black Max air compressor as an auction item at the next Muster. If you can't be there , you can send for raffle tickets.

Neil

Neil

FollowupID: 851094

Follow Up By: Motherhen & Rooster - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:28

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 05:28
Thanks Neil - I always buy raffle tickets just to give support - but we never win.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

FollowupID: 851095

Our Sponsors