Dometic Diesel Heater SERVICE PROBLEMS

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 19:21
ThreadID: 125617 Views:5755 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling with some other vans at the moment in Mildura, and one of the near new Kedron vans that is fitted with the Dometic Diesel Heater has a problem that will not allow it to start. Kedron appear to have little knowledge of how they operate and could not help.

We have checked the fuel, and power supply (13 volts at heater), and no blockages in the exhaust system,
The owner rang Dometic and he said that they were about as useful as T??? on a bull, but were confident that their Dometic service agent in Mildura would be able to fix the problem.
He rang the Mildura Dometic Agent and the female who answered the phone didn't even know that Domestic made a diesel heater, and when he went there and spoke to the service mechanic was told that they only service refrigeration and do not touch the Diesel Heater and could not direct him to anyone who does.

BTi have assured new owners that the Dometic Heater is superior to the Webasto BUT it would appear that when things go wrong Dometic's service advice does not come close to what Roger at Webasto has given our members in the past.

I think future owners of new caravans should think carefully before deciding on which brand of heater they have installed if they are going to have one fitted.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 01:10

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 01:10
Thanks for the head-up Brian as we will probably have one fitted when we eventually get to the eastern states.
Cheers John
AnswerID: 577683

Reply By: Wherrol - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 06:42

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 06:42
We too have had Dometic problems, only with the loo. Which we ended up fixing ourselves. We are thinking we are now 'experts' on the subject.

Our experience with Dometic is as above:
Chris at Dometic Brisbane is very helpful, kind and courteous but is always busy.
Scott at Dometic Melbourne is always going to ring back.

How we solved our problem was by writing to the Sales and Marketing Vice President in Sweden and explained ever so tactfully our problem and sugested he look at ways of improving their service. Wonders of wonders Scott returned our call and we had a part within a couple of days.

Interestingly after we wrote to over to Sweden they took his name off the contact list on Australia's website. Mmmm maybe they don't like Australian's!

His email address for all complaints is: 'rutger.wachtmeister@dometic.se'

Please feel free..he does not write back but the more complaints the merrier.

And as for Roger at Webasto - talk about a star, always rung back, always helpful and always prompt. We would have Webasto products any day.

Allan and Sharon

AnswerID: 577684

Reply By: Titans - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:58

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 11:58
Thanks for sharing the info Brian, we are going to get a diesel heater very soon and you have made our decision on which brand so much easier. We will be ringing Roger at Webasto to find out where to take our van to have one fitted.

Lola
AnswerID: 577685

Reply By: Flipp'n Lorry - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:38

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 16:38
I agree that Roger at Webasto is brilliant - we had a problem with an intermittent shutdown of the system. He diagnosed a problem with the main control chip, and replaced. Helpful and friendly.
AnswerID: 577686

Reply By: The Murray Marauders - Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:59

Sunday, May 03, 2009 at 21:59
We also can't speak more highly of Roger and his right hand person at Webasto. We have had a couple of minor problems, one being the cap on the Diesel tank splitting and another when the heater wasn't getting hot enough. With both problems Roger or his female offsider was on the job immediately and helped fix the problem without fuss or cost to us.

New B.T. owners should not be fooled by B.T.i's push for Dometic heaters because we all know what that is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regads

Sampsom
(L.J.D.)
Life is a journey - so pay the fare

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 577687

Reply By: Oldfella - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 04:02

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 04:02
This is my third attempt to post this reply. Dometic came to our house fixed our heater that BTi had installed incorectly.Can't ask for better service than that.Credit where credit is due.

Graham.
Regards
Graham & Anne
VKE237 Sellcall 1945

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 577688

Reply By: Kez n Sandy - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 03:56

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 03:56
New Member today - just read about problems with Dometic Diesel Heater.

I had a problem with our Dometic Heater in February this year - turned out to be water in the fuel tank of a brand new Bushtracker. After getting the Brisbane Dometic phone number from Bushtracker, I phoned Peter Wishart and he actually came out to our address at Boondall in Brisbane and repaired the unit the same day I phoned him. It has worked fine ever since.

I cannot praise enough his quick response to my problem which he fixed straight away and said to phone him any time we have other problems with the heater.

Kerry
AnswerID: 577689

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:51

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:51
Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the BOG group. Good to see that the service you received from Brisbane is a lot better than what Mildura Domestic people were able to provide.

If you can supply the phone number of Peter Wishart, it might help other owners that need to contact Dometic.

I do find it interesting to see that Bushtracker gave you the phone number of Dometic and told you to contact them. Steve always used to say that they have to put a bit extra on the price of things to cover the warranty that they give for it, and if it was a near new Bushtracker then it should have been covered by the Bushtracker warranty.

Brian

FollowupID: 851199

Follow Up By: Kez n Sandy - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:38

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:38
The Dometic contact person in Brisbane for the Eberspacher Diesel Heater is Peter Wishart and his phone number is 07 3205 7599 (office hours). As I stated above, Peter was most helpful and he responded immediately to our needs.

Our van was brand new when we picked it up in September 2008 and Bushtracker drained the fuel tank and replaced the pump on warranty, but the heater kept blowing heaps of smoke so they gave me Peter's phone number to fix our problem.

Kerry
FollowupID: 851200

Reply By: Mumbles & Mur - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:30

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:30
Hi all,
Had van about 18mths. Webasco worked fine initially in cold clime, now has only very moderate heat in the tropics when giving all systems a regular run. Still on original diesel as supplied by B.I. but introduced conditioner very soon after delivery. Maybe not good enough? Any suggestion or should I contact Webasco if someone can give me a phone No. and contact.
Cheers,
Ken
AnswerID: 577690

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:45

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 05:45
Ken,

If you go to MY HOME and then look at the supporters section on the right hand side of the page you will see Webasto at the top. Give Roger at Webasto a call and he should be able to talk you through how to sort things out.

Brian

FollowupID: 851201

Our Sponsors