In Vehicle Navigation GPS

Submitted: Monday, May 18, 2009 at 00:35
ThreadID: 125668 Views:3364 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Any recommendations with reasons, to aid navigating in towns / cities that are strange to me. Intend to go off-road also.
3.5" screen size would be OK, no smaller.
I must be able to acquire GPS from an external antennae as our vehicle has a metal sun visor fitted.
It would be good if updated maps and topographic maps could be updated/ utilised.
Although I do have a laptop, I would prefer not to use it for visual reference while driving if I can avoid it. I can handle emails OK but am certainly not a computer literate person.
What experiences are there out there, recommendations, rough costs etc...
Was in BigW yesterday and they have a Binatone brand. Any experience with this one?.
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boystoy - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 04:18

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 04:18
Hi John & Sharon,

Where are you now?

Would advise you to stick with well known brands such as Garmin, as you readily can get offroad software.
Pat has a "shopping trolly" Garmin, which is excellent in towns & cities, but the Garmin girl is a city girl that gets hopelessly lost out of town. Need the next model for offroad.

I have just installed a VMS AVNC3000 from GPSOZ. Its an in-dash unit that has the lot! I hope I can learn to use it before we hit the road in about 4-weeks time.

Keep in touch

Neil & Pat
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 577808

Follow Up By: The Hob - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 04:36

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 04:36
Neil and Pat

I am interested in buying the AVNC 3000 for a 200 series toyota.

What did you put it in and what was the job like???

Bit worried by the electronics of the 200 series but like the tailored wiring harness.

Alan
FollowupID: 851262

Follow Up By: Boystoy - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:54

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:54
Hi Alan,

We had the AVNC 3000 installed in our 2003 LC100TD.
Very professional job, looks like it grew there.
It enabled me to remove the following: Vesa 5" screen on a bracket for the van rear vision camera, bracket for Pats Garmin GPS, & the Hands-free phone kit. Looks a lot more tidy now & safer too!
I bought the AVNC mainly for the offroad mapping feature, & the only thing I find that I miss for around town is no warnings for 40kph school zones, no red light cameras, & only a warning beep for speed cameras. I does have spoken warning for exceeding the speed limit, which adjusts as the speed limit zones change -- a good feature on some roads.
We bought ours through GPSOZ in Sydney & had it installed by their recommended installer. This gives you an extra 12 months warranty.
The system seems widely recommended on forums, & doesn't seem to attract negative responses.
We head off in a few weeks time towards WA for 3 months, so we will see if it was money well spent.

Neil
A Bushtracker (or BT) is a "Boys Toy"

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851263

Follow Up By: The Hob - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 23:06

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 23:06
Thanks Neil

I want one also to be part of the dash and not tacked on. I find PDAs etc have screens too small for my eyes when on maps. The small screen is ok for just street navigation but I want to follow topo maps.

I have rear vision camera for the van but I will leave my VESA screen alone as I want to use rear vision at all times on the van not just when in reverse.

I am sure it will work fine for you.

Enjoy your trip away.

Alan
FollowupID: 851264

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:03

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:03
$650 with $100 cash back from HP from Myers Perth
John
AnswerID: 577809

Reply By: Grumblebum & Dragon - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:08

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:08
First message did not go. I have a HP iPaq rx 5965. .2 years old no glitches. Being a PDA you can get email and internet etc run the phone through it list to muzic - with earphone or put it through a speaker. I run Oziexplorer CE (you have to have the full version on a lap top. Oziexploer is $140 and CE version $45.

Run Natmaps 1,250,000 at $110 for premium edition cover whole of oz. Cheers John
AnswerID: 577810

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 06:56

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 06:56
Thank you all for your input and help.
I had this message on 3 sites and now have a wealth of data to wade through.
Thank you all once again
John
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

AnswerID: 577811

Our Sponsors