Top End Trip

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 08:37
ThreadID: 125704 Views:8621 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi ........Can anyone tell us about taking a BT up through to Seisia Beach (top end Qld) via the telegraph track....and travelling with a dog (and including wife :)

any feed back would be great.

see you all at the muster.

Rgds

Paul an Di & the Red Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The BrakeAways - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 05:18

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 05:18
Paul
It will be my 7th trip to Cape York in Sep this year. Last one was Sep 2006.
Unfortunately you would have NO CHANCE of getting a BT to the tip via the Telegraph track.
However, providing you take it easy, you should have no problems getting up there via the "new" development road.
Have a look at the Kedron "Gall boys" Cape York video if you want a good idea of what it would be like trying to get a caravan along the southern Telegraph track (e.g. Gunshot) and the northern section through Fruitbat falls etc is just as bad.
There are also numerous other tracks that wouldn't be possible with a van, including Maytown track, CREB track, Bathurst Bay and Chillli Beach via the Frenchman's road (esp Pascoe River).
Rick
AnswerID: 577883

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:26

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:26
And the Kedron van that they took up there was only 7 feet wide.

Brian
Enjoying the friendship of BOG members

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 851300

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:54

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:54
Greetings Paul & Di

Dogs are taboo in National Parks. (If the Ranger sees the dog)

When we took our BT to the top we stayed at Loyalty Beach (a little North East of Seisa) as the Seisa Van Park would not allow dogs.
Loyalty Beach does. (They also allow wives LOL) We stayed a month there and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers
John & Sharyn
John & Sharyn
Takin' the long way home - Towing a Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 851301

Reply By: D & P - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:47

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:47
Hi Rick

Thanks for the info,

so if I have it correct we can go all the way to Seisia Beach, by the bypass road, then basing our selfs there, ...or do you think leaving the van in Cooktown and tenting it from there is a better option.

Regards Paul
AnswerID: 577884

Follow Up By: Panna Trackers - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 02:59

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 02:59
We have just arrived back from the Tip. All the road has just been graded but is starting to break up in places. Going steady you will have no trouble getting to Seisia. Stick to the bypass roads and forget the old telegraph track.
Trevor
FollowupID: 851302

Reply By: Tracks n About - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:49

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:49
G'Day Paul,Di & the Red Dog,
We ( That being The Blue Dog myself & my partner) did the Cape York trip last year. Did Mt Isa - Burke & Wills Roadhouse - Gregory Downs - Bourktown - Normonton
Dunbar - Palmerville - then onto the PDR for our trip to the Cape,on the way doing the detour into Weipa and cutting up through Batavia Downs and back onto the PDR. Took our BT all the way up,but definently not on the Telegraph Track. At the top we stayed at Loyalty Beach,about 10kms from Seisa. Beautiful spot. A far more laid back camping ground,but much more than that,they loved our Blue Dog!!!
After spending just short of two weeks at Loyalty beach,we headed back down the PDR as far as Bramwell Station,where we camped a couple of nights before leaving our BT there and doing a 5 night camping trip up the Telegraph Track. We went up the Track and went back down the PDR to Bramwell Station. No way should you attempt to take your BT on the Telegraph Track. Enjoy your trip,we had a great time.
Regards,
Tracks n About.
&
The Red Dog !
AnswerID: 577885

Follow Up By: Uncle Dodgy - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 21:09

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 21:09
Did you get to see the termite mound at Bramwell Station Yards.
Check it out under the Pictures tab and UncleDodgy's pics.
Cheers
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message
Classifieds: Nissan Patrol 6X4 tow vehicle for 19ft Bushtracker., 19 Ft Queen Island Full Off Road Bushtracker.

FollowupID: 851303

Reply By: Tracks n About - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:01

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 08:01
Sorry,
I meant the Blue Dog !!!!!!!!!!
Tracks n About.
AnswerID: 577886

Reply By: Kiwi1 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 03:48

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 03:48
Paul/Di/Red dog,

As others have said - don't even think about taking a van up the track. I'd add, don't even think about taking the van up the bypass roads. Millions of corrugations and nothing much to see.

If your truck is properly set up and you have 4wding experience, get a tent and a bit of camping gear and do the Telegraph Track both ways. It IS Cape York and is an experience not to be missed. Oh, and tenting next to the crocodile warning sign on the beach is not to be missed either. ;-)

Michael
AnswerID: 577887

Reply By: Tracks n About - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 03:03

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 03:03
G'Day Paul,Di & The Red Dog,
I've sent you a member message I think. Not real good with computers,if you didn't get it let me know and I'll try again

AnswerID: 577888

Reply By: Deleted User - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 05:34

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 05:34
Hi Paul, Di & Red Dog

Do yourselves a favour & leave the van in Cooktown. Either way you should have a great time but it is easier to see a whole lot more in less time without the van.

We took our dog on our last venture into Cape York. We checked with NPWS for latest info before we left.

Some areas not mentioned : Our trip included Hummocky Beach, north of Cooktown, which has some great camping spots, beach fossicking & fishing. The bottom part (Non NP) is dog friendly. North from there through the NP to Cape Melville NP. Turn left on arrival at Bathurst Bay (Non NP) where you could camp with a dog.

Do not miss the Old Telegraph Track. Lots of beautiful creeks & small waterfalls. Take your time & at least a few days.

Have a great time & safe travels

Greg & Diane

AnswerID: 577889

Reply By: Uncle Dodgy - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 20:20

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 20:20
The benefit to you of being a member of the BOG (Bushtracker Owners Group) includes among other things access to numerous trip notes by other financial members.
You should go to the Members Tab, then select File Swap.
Beneath the list of folders you will find an entry by Tellum Bugrem on their Cape York trip in 2006.
Also, towards the bottom of the folders under File Swap you will find a folder Trip Notes. There are numerous entries on various trips done by members.
Hope this helps
John & Sharyn

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 577890

Reply By: Travelling Twosome - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 02:57

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 02:57
We did Cape Yor via Telegraph Track in 2005 and spent a month looking around. We tented and I agree with others it's a much better option. The corrugations were horrific and would hate to think how even a Bushtracker would come out of it without some damage. The tenting is part of the excitement of the trip so don't miss that. We took a 2 man tent and it was all we needed as there always seemed to be some sort of cover. We since bought a pop up 2 man tent to take to Arnham Land (Gove) last year (you aren't allowed vans on that road). The pop up tent
is the way to go - up it 5 minutes so great for overnighters. Don't miss Pennefather River north of Weipa on your Cape York trip - a beautiful spot!
Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’ll die today

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 577891

Our Sponsors